Hundreds flock to Carter Caves for annual event

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Hundreds flock to Carter Caves for annual event

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jan 29, 2008 6:02 pm

OLIVE HILL, Ky. — Linda Pollock cast a glaring eye over the trip participants and then made her introduction.

“This here is One-Eyed Molly, this here is Natty Ratty and my name is ‘Sea Hag,’ ” said Pollock, head to toe in pirate garb.

“Otherwise known as my mother-in-law,” interjected Ian Curphey, laughing.

Dressed convincingly as a crew of pirates, the Pollock and Curphey families led a Sunday morning trip, “Pirates of the Caverean Treasure Hunt,” that was just one of the 103 different trips last weekend during the 27th annual Crawlathon at Carter Caves State Resort Park.

“I wanted something parents could walk along with the kids that would not be a strain,” Pollock said after the trip as the kids split up the spoils from a treasure chest retrieved from deep in the cave. “It’s something the kids could do too that was somewhatself-guided.”

Started in January 1982 by park naturalists Sam Plummer and (now retired ) John Tierney to get visitors to the park during winter, Crawlathon has grown into the largest weekend event at Carter Caves.

Full Story
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum