Ravines, Caves Searched for Georgia Grad

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Ravines, Caves Searched for Georgia Grad

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jan 4, 2008 12:30 pm

Search and rescue teams spent a frigid night on Blood Mountain scouring trails, ravines, and caves for any sign of a missing University of Georgia graduate.

"We have nothing right now," Union County investigator Kimberly Verdone admitted Friday.

Meredith Emerson, 24, an avid hiker, was last seen on New Year's Day, talking to a weathered and toothless man who has been identified as Gary Michael Hilton, 60, of DeKalb County. Hilton is being sought for questioning by authorities.

More on 11Alive.com
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Re: Ravines, Caves Searched for Georgia Grad

Postby wendy » Jan 4, 2008 1:16 pm

Are there many caves on Blood Mountain?
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jan 5, 2008 10:31 am

a good source told me there is at least one cave in the Blood Mt area, although it is not a limestone cave and really doesn't go anywhere. I'm not sure if it's on the survey or not.

There are a lot of holes in this story that haven't been filled in yet. I think the police know a bit more than they are telling at the moment. We'll all just have to wait and see how it pans out. Hopefully for the best.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wendy » Jan 5, 2008 12:12 pm

Well yesterday the police found the man that was the person of interest in the case at a gas station outside of Atlanta, and also the girls dog walked into a Kroger. Hopefully they will find her safe next.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Bill Putnam » Jan 5, 2008 2:04 pm

There is not much limestone in the Blood Mountain area, but there are five known caves in Union County, including one small talus cave on Blood Mountain - Rockhouse Cave #2, aka Blood Mountain Cave. It is about 30 feet long and about 2 feet deep. Located at 4,450 feet ASL, it has the distinction of being the highest known cave in Georgia.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jan 5, 2008 2:06 pm

The woman's dog was found 40 miles away from where her car was parked, so that adds a new wrinkle to the search.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jan 5, 2008 2:07 pm

Wendy, the scary part is that they found the man down in Dekalb county, which is over 100 miles from the Blood Mt area. Her dog was found in Forsyth county, which is still an hour away from the AT, and 45 miles north of where the dude was found. There's no way that dog walked from the mountains down there. It's just way too far. I'm not too optimistic at this point.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jan 6, 2008 9:14 am

BLAIRSVILLE, Georgia (CNN) -- Investigators found IDs belonging to missing hiker Meredith Emerson along with blood-stained clothes, leading authorities to charge Gary Michael Hilton with kidnapping with intent to cause bodily injury, according to a criminal warrant filed Saturday.

The items were found in a trash bin of a convenience store next to the grocery store where Emerson's dog was found wandering around in the parking lot Friday about 50 miles from where she disappeared.

Full Story
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Jan 7, 2008 8:48 pm

Well they found her body.

Here was a nice, educated girl who knew self defense, and she still became a victim. Just reminds you not to be complacent and be aware of your surroundings. I often, well most always travel alone, which my mom hates. Actually thinking of this girl, kept me from camping alone this weekend.

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby mgmills » Jan 7, 2008 9:47 pm

wendy wrote:Well they found her body.

Here was a nice, educated girl who knew self defense, and she still became a victim. Just reminds you not to be complacent and be aware of your surroundings. I often, well most always travel alone, which my mom hates. Actually thinking of this girl, kept me from camping alone this weekend.

I agree Wendy, it is sad that our world is so dangerous. I live on the edge of a State Forest. I sometimes go hiking alone with my two dogs. I've always been friendly and will strike up a conversation with strangers in the checkout line at a store. I guess I won't be stopping to chat with strangers on a hiking trail.

I like to think the dogs (one 80 pounds and one 60 pounds) are a deterrent to those meaning harm but this girl had her dog along.

I read in one news release that they are trying to connect the guy they have in custody with the disappearance of an older couple who disappeared while hiking in NC in October. I think they found the woman's body but never found the husband's body.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jan 8, 2008 6:19 pm

The more I hear about this story, the more incensed I become. I know he has his right to due process but it's pretty obvious that he did it. This man mutilated this young lady... for reasons only a sick mind could comprehend. There was no road rage or drugs or bad blood - they were on the AT out in the beautiful mountains for crying out loud. It's completely senseless. All I can think is that at least there is one less sicko on the trail now.
I'm not a fan of capitol punishment, but I think in this case I'll make an exception. It makes me angry to think that there are monsters like this walking about, especially in a place that's supposed to be sacred and beautiful. We all expect trouble in the bad part of town, but not the trail!!
I can't believe this guy was from my home town and the girl was from my county. The whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach and just makes me plain angry.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jan 8, 2008 6:52 pm

It is a real tragedy. The guy must be sick or at least a horrible sociopath.

I have always, and still continue to do things, including camping alone. I've done so for nearly 30 years.

As tragic as this is, remember that today we get all bad news piped at us in living color. These kind of things happened in the past, too, but only in rare cases (e.g. Jack the Ripper) did they get the exposure to cause the horror.

I don't think I'll change my ways. It's always a good idea to be wary, but I'll still be friendly to people I meet on trails while out by myself.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 8, 2008 8:14 pm

since he apparently led authorities to the body after a plea deal, I would say a presumption of innocence is indeed a presumption...I agree with squirrelgirl that you can't live life in fear. Bad things happen, but it shouldn't stop us from enjoying the good things or good people.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum