Vandal attack on treasured Tasmanian cave

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Vandal attack on treasured Tasmanian cave

Postby Wayne Harrison » Oct 6, 2007 11:52 am

Police and Parks and Wildlife Officers are investigating vandalism at the entrance of one of Tasmania's premier underground caves.

Police say someone has illegally entered the Kubla Khan cave near Mole Creek.

The Kubla Khan cave is one of Australia's most pristine underground formations, and is restricted to only 12 tour groups each year.

Only registered caving groups are allowed to enter the cave, with an official guide.

Police say someone removed the metal entry gate, using heavy cutting equipment.

They have gone to a lot of effort as the walk to the cave takes about half-an-hour in thick scrub, up a steep hill.

The damage to the entrance was discovered on Sunday and the gate is still missing.

It's not yet known if there is damage to the cave itself.

A Parks and Wildlife group will inspect it later this week.

<a href="http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/10/03/2050379.htm">via ABCNet.au</a>

Cave undamaged in apparent break-in

An inspection of the Kubla Khan cave in Tasmania's north west has found no damage has been done despite signs of an apparent break-in.

Earlier this week, authorities found the metal entry gate to the cave had been removed, leading to fears the pristine formations in the cave may have been vandalised.

The cave is one of the state's premier underground caves, with access limited to 12 tour groups a year.

Parks and Reserves Manager for the area, Chris Emms says there'll now be a review of access to the cave.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 6, 2007 2:47 pm

Anybody know what happened to the people who broke the butterfly at Caverns of Sonora?
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby baa43003 » Oct 6, 2007 3:36 pm

My heart skipped a beat when I read the first few lines of this post. I was very fortunate to visit this cave earlier this year. By far one of the most beautiful caves I've ever seen. I'm so glad no damage has been found in the cave and hope it remains that way. The Australian cavers have taken such great care of it thus far.
I hope they find the vandals and force them to eat biscuits and gravy every day for a year. (A very gruesome punishment for an Aussie)
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Oct 7, 2007 8:55 pm

from the Tasmania Mercury

ANGUS HOHENBOKEN

October 04, 2007 12:00am

A GATE protecting one of Australia's premier caving sites has been cut down in the state's North.
Tasmania Police and Parks and Wildlife Service staff are investigating illegal entry to Kubla Khan cave, west of Mole Creek.

A locked metal gate at the cave entrance had been cut free with oxy-acetylene gear. The severed gate has not been found.

It is unknown whether any of the ancient cave's irreplaceable formations were damaged or stolen in the break-in.

Entry to the cave is restricted to 12 groups a year, with a maximum of six people in each group, to ensure it is maintained in pristine condition.

Those seeking access must be registered members of a recognised caving group to obtain access permits and must use a Parks and Wildlife approved guide.

The cave has one entry and one exit point, which have locked metal gates.

Police said it appeared someone had gone to a lot of trouble carrying oxy-acetylene cutting gear to the site on foot.

Access to the cave entrance is via a 30-minute walk along an unused track through thick scrub and up a steep hill.

Mole Creek Caving Club quarter master Deb Hunter said members of the Southern Tasmanian Caverneers caving club found the gate missing on Sunday.

"It's not just the obvious of damaging things that have taken thousands, if not millions of years to form," Ms Hunter said. "It's the distribution of mud which alters the make-up of the cave. My primary concern is safety, because nothing will destroy the cave like a rescue."

A Parks and Wildlife group will inspect the cave this week. Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Good to hear the cave is undamaged.

If they were determined enough to bring in an oxy torch there wasn't much the gate or gate builders could do top stop them I guess. :evil:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Oct 9, 2007 9:21 am

If they were determined enough to bring in an oxy torch there wasn't much the gate or gate builders could do top stop them I guess.

True that the gate builders can't stop it. Too bad there couldn't be more patrols of the area to stop it. From what I saw, the Australian National Parks looked to be at least as underfunded as the USNPS. But I guess even with a ranger presence in the backcountry (bush), you can't be everywhere at once. Thank God the gate breakers only wanted to go caving and not break stuff.

Here's a photo of the Pleasure Dome in Kubla, taken by my friend Gary Whitby.

Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum