NASA Orbiter Finds Possible Cave Skylights on Mars

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby icave » Sep 21, 2007 1:40 pm

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Mars Odyssey spacecraft has discovered entrances to seven possible caves on the slopes of a Martian volcano. The find is fueling interest in potential underground habitats and sparking searches for caverns elsewhere on the Red Planet.

Very dark, nearly circular features ranging in diameter from about 100 to 250 meters (328 to 820 feet) puzzled researchers who found them in images taken by NASA's Mars Odyssey and Mars Global Surveyor orbiters. Using Mars Odyssey's infrared camera to check the daytime and nighttime temperatures of the circles, scientists concluded that they could be windows into underground spaces.

See the full article at: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/odyssey/odyssey-20070921.html
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby Bat » Sep 22, 2007 10:24 pm

I saw this and iit brought me here for the first time in a long time. Exciting! What do you guys think?
Bat
Infrequent Poster

Postby Martin Sluka » Sep 23, 2007 2:16 am

Bat wrote:I saw this and iit brought me here for the first time in a long time. Exciting! What do you guys think?

There are many features on Mars which LOOKS AS the karst features on Earth - blind valleys, sinkholes, pits, etc. But most of them are evidently filled by dust. Several pits are not! And this is the most interesting!

Compare lava caves at Saudy Arabia - pits in the middle of sandy desert. Not filled by sand. (Thanks Jut.)

http://www.saudicaves.com/lava/introobl.htm

m.
Martin Sluka
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Martin Sluka
NSS #: 29010

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum