Don Shofstall Passes Away

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Don Shofstall Passes Away

Postby Teresa » Sep 20, 2007 7:52 am

Philip Moss announced last night at our grotto meeting that Don Shofstall, NSS life and FE of Evansville Indiana passed away at home on Tuesday. Shofstall was 80.

He was very well known in the last few years for MCing the NSS Convention banquet, and/or leading the toast to cavers no longer with us. He also was extremely well-known in the Midwest Caving community, having been a fixture at MVOR for many many years.

http://obits.courierpress.com/Link.asp? ... 094748820X

Have a drink and a smile for Don if you knew him. He'd like that.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Sep 20, 2007 5:07 pm

A great loss indeed. Don would always be one of the first people I'd look for at events. I'm sure gonna miss that always smiling face. My thoughts go out to June and his family.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Sep 30, 2007 7:42 pm

Goodbye Don. You'll be missed! Your smiles, your hugs, your bright eyes, your laughter, your friendship. And your homemade wine. :toast:

Several years ago, Don began giving a toast at Convention banquets to members of our caving family no longer with us. We must carry on the tradition, and now Don will be included with all those we'll be raising our glasses to.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Mike Warshauer » Oct 3, 2007 2:59 am

I remember Don from years back (including an MVOR at Glover's Cave, Indiana) as the inventor of the Rappelstein.
Que te descanses en paz, Don.
Cada loco con su tema
Mike Warshauer
Occasional Poster

Name: Michael Warshauer
NSS #: 4428 F, LB

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum