Don't look down: Moaning Cavern

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Don't look down: Moaning Cavern

Postby Wayne Harrison » Sep 6, 2007 9:34 am

The trip down into Moaning Cavern is one of the most electrifying adventures in California. Because you can make the descent either by rope or by stairs, virtually anyone who's in shape can take part.

This provides an ideal late-summer adventure, where you combine the adventure with an overnighter in Calaveras County.

In the past three years, I've explored the top six caverns open to the public in California. The others are all great, but for excitement and pictures, Moaning Cavern is the best by far.

<a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/06/NSLHRUDID.DTL&feed=rss.tstienstra">via San Francisco Chronicle</a>
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby wendy » Sep 6, 2007 5:58 pm

I went there a little over a year ago, it was nice, i did the rappel, only thing i didn't like was the rope was so thick, i had to feed it the entire time, they didn't want me to let any bars off (although I did do 1 or 2).

This will also be oohfishy's first cave trip, she is going there next week.

Also down the road from there is upper and lower natural bridge, nice walk thru cave with a small creek/river thru them.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby ooohfishy » Sep 6, 2007 6:34 pm

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I am SOOOOO EXCITED. Like I can taste it!

Every... single... day.. it gets closer and closer to this trip..

I gathered 8 people to go with me (most of them have NEVER set foot in a cave), two are chickening out and doing the stairs, there rest are rapelling!

So, can I ask the 'experienced Moaning Cavern goer(s)'.

I'm bringing my own helmet/headlamp, (Ecrin Roc and Petzl Duo 14 LED). I'd LOVE to bring my digital camera (Canon SD900), they say bring disposable cameras, but I want good pictures :)... and I'll also have an extra battery pack (for headlamp, just in case).

Question:
Do you think they'll let me carry a backpack (will be bringing the Lost Creek Tag pack) even though they didn't really say you could bring stuff - but I'll just be putting the extra battery and camera in it.

Would you really recommend the disposable or you think I can get away with the digital camera? I've just seen too many pixelated/noisy pictures with a disposable. And judging by the pictures, the cave looks slightly damp.. I do have a waterproof housing for my camera, but it'll make things a bit on the bulky side but it'll just give me the max protection against debris and sludge :)

Since the camera.. ahem, 'documentation' of this trip is more important... should I ditch the bag? Find some way to hide an extra flashlight in my pocket somewhere? :)

Your recommendations? I'd like to go as "prepared" as I can for this.. "guided/paid" tour :)

I just saw some 'updated' pictrues of a couples Adventure Trip:
http://hometown.aol.com/mommatoandrea/moaning.html
... I'm wetting myself right now I'm so excited... sorry... but I am SOO excited!!!!

September 22nd is soooo far away right now... ;)
ooohfishy
Frequent Poster

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum