The history of Cherokee Caverns, Part 2

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

The history of Cherokee Caverns, Part 2

Postby Wayne Harrison » Aug 14, 2007 9:36 am

Story last updated at 12:11 am on 8/14/2007

By: D. Ray Smith | Historically Speaking | The Oak Ridger

Last week we introduced the history of Cherokee Caverns, a historic cave with most unusual formations and unique features found in few caves. We chronicled the early history of the cave dating back to the American Indians and noted the first time it was opened for public access. This week we continue the history of this beautiful historic cavern in our community.

In the late 1960s a restaurant was built over the entrance to the cave and operated until fire destroyed the restaurant, gift shop and cottage in October 1980. The last time I visited the cave before recently was during the fall of 1980, just before the fire. I recalled the many formations and the beauty of the flowstone and crystals. When I went on the special photo tour during this year’s “Cool Down in the Cave” event, I recalled with fond memories my last visit there when our two boys were still at home and we went often to such places as a family.

<a href="http://oakridger.com/stories/081407/com_191122246.shtml">Full Story</a>
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Where is Part 1 ???

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Aug 23, 2007 11:20 am

I enjoyed "The History of Cherokee Caverns, Part 2".

Where do I go to find Part 1 ???

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Wayne Harrison » Aug 23, 2007 11:59 am

The Cherokee Caverns – Part 1

Author: D. Ray Smith Historically Speaking The Oak Ridger
Date: August 7, 2007
Publication: Oak Ridger, The (TN)
The article was archived by the paper and if you pay $2.95 you can get it. Here's a synopsis:

The next two weeks will feature the history of a local tourist attraction, the Cherokee Caverns, including the changes in the name and other aspects of the attraction during the past 78 years since it first opened to the public. We will conclude with a look at what is being done to assure the protection and future access to a unique and beautiful part of our community.

Just across the Clinch River through Solway, about two miles southeast, is a historic cave system. It is located just north...
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum