In Print...Directions...

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby cob » Jun 27, 2007 8:13 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:Very good letter, Tom.

Thank you... I thought so.

I understand that the cave locations are given on the newspaper Web site. The NSS has a policy about listing cave locations. We've extended it in this forum to also include linking to cave locations, since we are on the Internet. Lots of people come here looking for cave locations (you should see the number of searches for "cave locations around so-and-so" we get on the Caving swicki). The moderators strive to make sure no posts violate our linking policy. That's all.

this I understand Wayne...

To answer your question, Tom, about how you would discuss it without linking to it -- and for future cave location posts by anyone here on the forum -- you could summarize the offending article (leaving out the name of the cave)... and give the name of the source, without linking to the source. That makes it a bit harder to find the article and doesn't make it just one click away from our caving forum.

Instead of one click away, it is 2 clicks away... (read my previous post to Wendy and all admins)

By linking directly to the cave directions article you are, in effect, allowing people to read the directions --

Uhhhh, yeah. So they can do something about it.

the very thing you are complaining to the newspaper about.

I do not expect any body else here to understand how far down the tubes the STL Post has gone (I read it for entertainment purposes only), so let me explain: THERE IS NO EDITORIAL CONTROL OVER THAT RAG. I suspect that 75% of the time they have no idea of what is being printed in it. (If I did an audit of the articles in it, I would not be in the least surprised to find that 70-80% of the articles are NOT written by their staff... in fact, I think I will do one tomorow, and report back to you) Soooo... if they haven't written it.... and you can't reference to it....

Circle file any one?

Think of it this way: if you were calling in to a radio talk show to complain about the newspaper article, would you give the directions to the cave over the radio as part of your complaint? You'd probably just say, "an article in so-and-so newspaper" and then go on to explain why it's a no-no.

Yes I would, but I am not talking to the "general public", I am talking to the NSS (and admittedly, a few trolls).

The newspaper probably doesn't have a policy about this sort of thing.

No they don't.... the very thing we are trying to change. So we complain... about an article that said something.... but they don't know what, because we can't link to it (and believe me, without an 8x10 color glossy picture, and a paragraph on the back of each one, describing....

these people could not tell the difference between their a** and a hole in the ground.

We do -- so we are a little more strict about it.

and the policy is a little short sighted (I think)

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cob » Jun 27, 2007 8:24 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:Because it's not hotlinked. It's the difference between mention Harrison Cave somewhere and linking to directions to it. All anyone has to do is Google the cave name to find the link. Our policy is not to hotlink to the directions.

I agree someone could find it by Googling... but we can't prevent that. If we had to delete everything thing mentioned that could Googled for more information we wouldn't even be able to mention a cave's name.

It's linking vs. not linking.

Wayne.... come on. 15 secs one way or the other... What's the diff??? Wendy's print (and my ref to it) ought to be deleted if you are trying to do what you say you are trying to do...

Give me time, hopefully my energy will hold out tonight, and my point will become completely clear.(believe it or not, I don't take this personal)

tom

Ps: google "The Mouse's Ballroom" or a "Young Blonde", I bet you come up with ZIP!
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jun 27, 2007 8:34 pm

cob wrote:Instead of one click away, it is 2 clicks away...

Correct. It is not directly linked from this site. That's why listservs and email are used for sensitive caving information. If it were on a listserv posting, it wouldn't be an issue I don't think. But look at the number of "Guests" we have at any time of the day. We have way more "guests" than NSS members browsing this forum. Many of them are looking for cave directions, judging from the Swicki search terms I see. I think more people come here looking for directions than go to the St. Louis paper. Let's keep that in mind when posting.

As you know cave directions and cave secrecy are big hot button issues within the NSS, but I think another reason you didn't get much response here is the title chosen for the first post. It is nebulous.

Cavers do have strong opinions on the subject within and outside the NSS. I'm not here to tell anyone what opinion they should have. I'm just here, along with the other moderators, to make sure we don't inadvertently give out directions to caves.

If we start posting links to every Web page that has cave directions so we can complain about them then we have failed, IMO, because we could still complain and "rally the troops" without posting links to explicit directions. If we do link to a page with cave directions, then we might find THAT post being used as example of putting cave directions on the Internet. In other words, cavers could take your original post that linked to the article and complain about it as adamantly as you complain about the newspaper.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby wendy » Jun 27, 2007 8:39 pm

oh good gosh I will delete my reposting of the article (minus the cave directions)

Ok so to kinda change the subject, insted of posting the link or a copy of the article, this thread is about thoughts on newspapers, media in general, printing, publishing, etc cave directions to the masses, afterall, wasn't the original topic you wanted to discuss cob?
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby cob » Jun 27, 2007 9:37 pm

teresa,

my apologies, but at 9:33 pm ONE of my fingers hit the wrong button and my post to your post is GONE.... unfortunately, I am now too tired to rewrite it again. Tomorrow maybe...

tom
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cob » Jun 27, 2007 9:58 pm

For the record:

I pm'ed Wendy about a detail she mentoined... She pm'ed me back. In it she expressed some "misgivings"...

I want all to know, my difficulty here is not with Wendy (she followed policy) my difficulty is with the policy, and the somewhat .... "Shortsightedness" of it.

I just feel it can be done better, and I know no way other than speaking out. Wayne, your words are heard. Please be patient. My days are long and hard, and I am not so eloquent at 9:30 pm as I am at 5:30 am (unfortunately, at 5:30 am I am generally already out the door and on my way to work)

And Wendy, You are dead on. It was all about how to respond to newspapers, and NOW, how do we get others to???

tom
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Jun 27, 2007 10:25 pm

wendy wrote:oh good gosh I will delete my reposting of the article (minus the cave directions)

Ok so to kinda change the subject, insted of posting the link or a copy of the article, this thread is about thoughts on newspapers, media in general, printing, publishing, etc cave directions to the masses, afterall, wasn't the original topic you wanted to discuss cob?

This whole topic is intricately related to the secrecy vs education camps of cavers.

The media can be your friend or your foe. Media can raise such a hue and cry to protect some cave or karst location they can make a really big difference in swaying public opinion. Or they can send every idiot out there to some poor defenseless cave, and create a very irate landowner, besides ticking off the caving community.

To use the media well, you have to play their game back at them, not just be passive. And learn to have a little control over what info cavers can control and what things they cannot. (Like--we cannot ban people from talking about wild caves. We can only skew the conversation.)

There was very little comment, nor upset about a recent article in a newspaper jointly put out by a number of rural electric coops, and having a LARGER paid circulation than the Post-Disgrace on the longest mapped (so far) cave in Missouri. Instead of just having a couple of passing references to caves, they did a full bore spread on this wild cave, not only describing it, but also noting it is located in the county with the most caves in the state. The distribution of this newspaper isn't in the big cities, where many other activities vie for attention.

I was surprised that I heard no negative feedback about this article. Cavers, instead, were circulating links and paper copies.

Recently the state cave conservancy here came up with the idea of a Cave State vanity plate to raise money for conservation. They've been generating a lot of media to get people to sign up for these plates...including by taking non-caving media folks caving, putting up cave-related billboards etc. No one is squawking about this.

The media always have and always will do summer cave-related stories. Caves are cool-- as one local show cave's billboards put it. Wild caves are cooler.

And then, there is the final cave conservation and safety related problem:
if cavers refuse to talk to the media, the media will find someone (usually less informed) to talk to. Anytime a good interview is involved, you need someone who knows what they are talking about, and is articulate, and you need an interviewer who has at least a passing background in the topic, so that they don't inadvertently misquote the subject, or mislead the reader. Most writers don't have time to let the subject review their final draft-- and some are forbidden by editorial policy from letting the interviewee do so.

The thing is: by discussing this issue, more attention has already been brought to this story that it warrants. I can name quite a number of places people can get really good wild cave locations without going through the caving community. I won't. I write on karst issues and am occasionally interviewed as a so-called cave expert. I won't put anything more than a very general location in a story I'm writing, and I won't consent to an interview where locations are involved. I've told editors upfront I will talk about caves, and even name them as being in a certain county, but I'll turn down an assignment, and lose the money if they insist I say specifically where a cave is. I've frustrated other writers, by insisting they talk about why cavers are secretive in their articles and make a note to send people to the NSS website or a local grotto before I consent to be interviewed. (This approach adds to the mystery, and adds a hook to the story, so there is a plus for the reader and writer in this.)

It all boils down to do you trust the media person you talk to? You can tell in the first 5 minutes where most of them want to take the story on caves. (Like people who think that hiking the Ozark Trail is extreme sports. It isn't. It's hot, dirty, tickfilled, thirsty work in the Missouri summer. Knowing where a cave entrance is for a hot hiker can be a good thing, even if it's gated, and you never go in.)

We can take the propensity for non-caving media to want to do stories on caves, and karst, and spin them our way. But it takes a little media savvy to do so.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cob » Jun 28, 2007 9:12 pm

REALLy tired tonite, so I have to keep this short...

Wayne Harrison wrote:Correct. It is not directly linked from this site. That's why listservs and email are used for sensitive caving information. If it were on a listserv posting, it wouldn't be an issue I don't think. But look at the number of "Guests" we have at any time of the day. We have way more "guests" than NSS members browsing this forum.

All good points Wayne...

Many of them are looking for cave directions, judging from the Swicki search terms I see. I think more people come here looking for directions than go to the St. Louis paper. Let's keep that in mind when posting.

I could hardly know (you are in a far better position to say, tho I suspect that the vast majority of "guests" are cavers who have not registered or just don't feel like signing in). But I also suspect that your average Ozark ATV'er is far for more likely to peruse the STL Post Dispatch sports section for the latest NASCAR results, than they are to cruise the web looking for caves to trash.

As you know cave directions and cave secrecy are big hot button issues within the NSS,

which is why I brought it up here...

but I think another reason you didn't get much response here is the title chosen for the first post. It is nebulous.

Could well be true... but I did it for a reason. "Cave directions ... are a big hot button issue within the NSS..." I was hopeful that cavers would pick it up and trolls would not (over analyzing, I know)

Cavers do have strong opinions on the subject within and outside the NSS. I'm not here to tell anyone what opinion they should have. I'm just here, along with the other moderators, to make sure we don't inadvertently give out directions to caves.

As am I... take note, in my original post, I did not tell anyone what to do, did not even tell anyone what I did. I just put the info out there and let others make their own decisions.

If we start posting links to every Web page that has cave directions so we can complain about them then we have failed, IMO, because we could still complain and "rally the troops" without posting links to explicit directions.

And here is where our difference comes in: Whether we link to them or not, ANY specific information contained within the post leads to the link. Which leaves us in the position of complaining about a situation, without actually doing anything about it, because we don't DARE say anything specific. (take note: this line of discussion, started about a specific situation, but because of NSS policy, has degenerated into a discussion of pure generalities... leaving ALL totally in the dark.)

My point is simply this: I DON'T WANT TO SIMPLY COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SITUATION. I want to do something about it. But the NSS policy, as is, won't let me. This is akin to me standing on a soap bax and sanctimoniously saying, "But I don't do that!" but not doing anything to stop it.

In a previous post, you mentioned a radio show... Well, let us take this analogy to it's logical result: A radio show called "Cave of the Week!" What would you do? You would rally the troops, and try to stop it. Now, this is an extreme situation, but my point is, Where do you draw the line? And when do you do something?

I am not advocating the posting of links to web sites with cave locations, I AM advocating making it possible for cavers to object to cave locations being posted in a local newspaper (or national Magazine).

In numbers we have power, me by myself.... "the round file for this one."

tom
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cob » Jun 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Teresa wrote:This whole topic is intricately related to the secrecy vs education camps of cavers.

No it's not. Not even close. But that is a subject for another night... Right now, I am tired, and I leave town tomorrow night. We will see who is interested in this subject when I return.

tom
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Jun 28, 2007 10:24 pm

I'm sincerely sorry, tom, but I don't understand how you could say it is not related to the secrecy vs education camps of cavers. The only thing cavers really keep secret are locations, sometimes from other cavers, sometimes from the general public. The article's author (who is not a caver) was doing 'education' by describing the route of the Ozark Trail and points along it. (Nothing specific about the caves, just their relative locations.) She likely hasn't a clue that cave locations are considered by some in her readership to be secret, though she knows that favorite fishing and hunting spots are downright sacred.

People who are strict secretists would not be happy that this made the paper. People who believe the answer lies only in education would actually want more details in the paper. Folks like me (somewhere in the middle of those positions) actually read right over this, since the point of the article isn't caves but hiking the OT.

There is enough turnover in most editor chairs that we'll never educate a newspaper editor about the caver's preferences for publicity or lack thereof in order to influence the editorial preferences of a publication. There is a possibility that writers who specialize in outdoor topics are educable on the topic. Which I am trying to do, one acquaintance at a time. This is a good thing, no?
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cob » Jul 4, 2007 8:51 pm

Teresa wrote:I'm sincerely sorry, tom, but I don't understand how you could say it is not related to the secrecy vs education camps of cavers.

Sorry it took so long Teresa, but....

My objection to your above statement (and the one I previosly quoted) is that your statements imply an either/or position, ie: one cannot be against the posting/printing of cave locations AND for the education of the general public about karst issues.

I find this position ludicrous.

The only thing cavers really keep secret are locations, sometimes from other cavers, sometimes from the general public.

Sometimes for good reasons... sometimes not so good reasons.

The article's author (who is not a caver) was doing 'education' by describing the route of the Ozark Trail and points along it. (Nothing specific about the caves, just their relative locations.)

THAT was education???? If she wanted to educate people about the trail, she could have left out ALL comments about the caves (and their was nothing "relative" about either location)

She likely hasn't a clue that cave locations are considered by some in her readership to be secret, though she knows that favorite fishing and hunting spots are downright sacred.

No, she does not. Hence my letter to the Post (an effort, however feeble, to educate them)(hopefully they forwarded it)

People who are strict secretists would not be happy that this made the paper.

I don't even know what that means ("strict secretists").

People who believe the answer lies only in education would actually want more details in the paper.

Name one...

Folks like me (somewhere in the middle of those positions) actually read right over this, since the point of the article isn't caves but hiking the OT.

I however, can not (the Devil is in the details)

There is enough turnover in most editor chairs that we'll never educate a newspaper editor about the caver's preferences for publicity or lack thereof in order to influence the editorial preferences of a publication.

Probably not, but if they had gotten 3 dozen letters about it, don't you think they would have taken notice?

There is a possibility that writers who specialize in outdoor topics are educable on the topic. Which I am trying to do, one acquaintance at a time. This is a good thing, no?

This is indeed, and I applaud your efforts, but...

You said in your previous post:

The media can be your friend or your foe. Media can raise such a hue and cry to protect some cave or karst location they can make a really big difference in swaying public opinion. Or they can send every idiot out there to some poor defenseless cave, and create a very irate landowner, besides ticking off the caving community.

How do you "protect" a location by printing it? If they print it, they ARE sending every idiot to it.

To use the media well, you have to play their game back at them, not just be passive.

Which is all I am trying to do.

And learn to have a little control over what info cavers can control and what things they cannot. (Like--we cannot ban people from talking about wild caves. We can only skew the conversation.)

Which again, is all I am trying to do (by stopping them from giving out locations).

There was very little comment, nor upset about a recent article in a newspaper jointly put out by a number of rural electric coops, and having a LARGER paid circulation than the Post-Disgrace on the longest mapped (so far) cave in Missouri. Instead of just having a couple of passing references to caves, they did a full bore spread on this wild cave, not only describing it, but also noting it is located in the county with the most caves in the state. The distribution of this newspaper isn't in the big cities, where many other activities vie for attention.

I missed it, (i do not often read the Crawford Co COOP rag) and I heard no comment about it on the local list serve. Otherwise, I would have complained.

Recently the state cave conservancy here came up with the idea of a Cave State vanity plate to raise money for conservation. They've been generating a lot of media to get people to sign up for these plates...including by taking non-caving media folks caving, putting up cave-related billboards etc. No one is squawking about this.

I fail to see the connection between this and "cave locations".

The media always have and always will do summer cave-related stories. Caves are cool-- as one local show cave's billboards put it. Wild caves are cooler.

So let them go see a tour cave or better yet.... Join a Grotto.

And then, there is the final cave conservation and safety related problem:
if cavers refuse to talk to the media, the media will find someone (usually less informed) to talk to. Anytime a good interview is involved, you need someone who knows what they are talking about, and is articulate, and you need an interviewer who has at least a passing background in the topic, so that they don't inadvertently misquote the subject, or mislead the reader. Most writers don't have time to let the subject review their final draft-- and some are forbidden by editorial policy from letting the interviewee do so.

You must have missed the article featuring Jim Ruedin and Alicia Lewis in the Suburban Journals (sorry guys, I was working way too hard that week, to link it here) Good article, very educational, and no cave locations. Imagine that.

The thing is: by discussing this issue, more attention has already been brought to this story that it warrants. I can name quite a number of places people can get really good wild cave locations without going through the caving community. I won't. I write on karst issues and am occasionally interviewed as a so-called cave expert. I won't put anything more than a very general location in a story I'm writing, and I won't consent to an interview where locations are involved. I've told editors upfront I will talk about caves, and even name them as being in a certain county, but I'll turn down an assignment, and lose the money if they insist I say specifically where a cave is. I've frustrated other writers, by insisting they talk about why cavers are secretive in their articles and make a note to send people to the NSS website or a local grotto before I consent to be interviewed. (This approach adds to the mystery, and adds a hook to the story, so there is a plus for the reader and writer in this.)

It all boils down to do you trust the media person you talk to? You can tell in the first 5 minutes where most of them want to take the story on caves. (Like people who think that hiking the Ozark Trail is extreme sports. It isn't. It's hot, dirty, tickfilled, thirsty work in the Missouri summer. Knowing where a cave entrance is for a hot hiker can be a good thing, even if it's gated, and you never go in.)

ALL of which is very condescending. Did you say anything here that I, or others, don't already know?

We can take the propensity for non-caving media to want to do stories on caves, and karst, and spin them our way. But it takes a little media savvy to do so.

So... what are we gonna do? Sit around and B about it? Get on our high horse and talk about how "we are better than that"? Or do something? Right now this writer is talking about (and giving locations) to caves on private land. Admittedly (as I said in my first post) one is gated, and the other is not much of a cave. But what about the next article she writes? As you well know Teresa, there are some really fine caves along the OT. Are we going to B about it now, or after those are given out?

I have been a party to the finding of many caves in Shannon Co. The Pioneer Forest has consulted with us about the lay out of trails thru their land (indeed, they have avoided an entire watershed because of some of our work) The landowner is King.

I wonder... did this author consult with Pioneer? Does she even know to? Will she ever?????

tom
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Jul 4, 2007 11:16 pm

cob wrote:
Teresa wrote:I'm sincerely sorry, tom, but I don't understand how you could say it is not related to the secrecy vs education camps of cavers.

Sorry it took so long Teresa, but....

My objection to your above statement (and the one I previosly quoted) is that your statements imply an either/or position, ie: one cannot be against the posting/printing of cave locations AND for the education of the general public about karst issues.

I find this position ludicrous.

You're thinking like a caver, tom. That's why you think this idea is ludicrous. To a caver, yes, the juxtaposition is perfectly normal. Not so to most people. They want to know where to go to see what people are talking about. Or else, most people aren't going to personally care about whatever it is--whales, old growth forest, whatever....

People who are strict secretists would not be happy that this made the paper.

I don't even know what that means ("strict secretists").

There the people who hide caves. Literally rebury them. People who tell only their best buds. People who only take a few others. People who trust cave surveys. People who will take folks to some caves, but not to others. People who aren't very discriminating in who they tell where wild caves are. And people who advertise. There's a whole range of people from strict secretists, to conditional secretists, to people in the middle, to people who don't care either way, to those who actively take whomever they can find.

It's a continuum. I would say people one, two and possibly three (in order of mentioning above)are strict secretists.

People who believe the answer lies only in education would actually want more details in the paper.

Name one...

I didn't say cavers, tom. I said people. There are plenty of people (in fact, a fair amount of the environmental/ecotourism crowd who would fall into the education and want more details crowd.

Folks like me (somewhere in the middle of those positions) actually read right over this, since the point of the article isn't caves but hiking the OT.

I however, can not (the Devil is in the details)

That's fine. I respect your position.

There is enough turnover in most editor chairs that we'll never educate a newspaper editor about the caver's preferences for publicity or lack thereof in order to influence the editorial preferences of a publication.

Probably not, but if they had gotten 3 dozen letters about it, don't you think they would have taken notice?

Not at the P-D. They don't even respond well to correction of factual errors. Instead, the writers come back explaining why *you* the reader are in error, even if you have expertise they don't. I quit trying to fix their mistakes some time ago. This is also why they have slipped from Pulitzer prize level journalism to ahem...something less savory, IMO.

There is a possibility that writers who specialize in outdoor topics are educable on the topic. Which I am trying to do, one acquaintance at a time. This is a good thing, no?

This is indeed, and I applaud your efforts, but...

You said in your previous post:

How do you "protect" a location by printing it? If they print it, they ARE sending every idiot to it.

Because the LANDOWNER chooses not to enforce anti-trespass laws at their disposal. I've long ranted and railed that knowledge does not equal access, I wish more people were fined for trespass, and wished more people had gotten chased as kids by farmers with shotguns like I did. Since many people have poor manners, we should let the legal system deal with them. That's a moot point on these caves...the landowner permits public access to the land these caves are on, though not to the caves themselves.

In terms of protection by publicizing...remind me to tell you about phoebe nests in Meramec State Park over a beer sometime.

Stuff snipped.

Tom, you're fighting the good fight as you see it. As am I. Keep it up! :-)

I fail to see the connection between this and "cave locations".

They are promoting caves, and encouraging others to do so by turning their cars into rolling billboards for The Cave State. I don't know of anyone who keeps the number of our caves a secret. That can hardly fail to have new/young people out combing the woods looking for them. But it's considered a good thing...

So let them go see a tour cave or better yet.... Join a Grotto.

I'm getting less and less enamored of the grotto thing, myself. Most people on the wilder parts of the OT aren't geared out for caving, much less for looking for caves where they aren't easily found. Many more people find caves along the canoe streams in a month than will likely find these OT caves in a year. I'm not worried.

You must have missed the article featuring Jim Ruedin and Alicia Lewis in the Suburban Journals (sorry guys, I was working way too hard that week, to link it here) Good article, very educational, and no cave locations. Imagine that.

Didn't miss it. They did take the reporter to a well-known cave with a paved trail leading straight to it, and that nearly anyone (caver or no) can find. I've been to (and inside) the gated cave whose location you questioned. It's equally pretty hard to miss. Don't know about the other one. I don't think we can hide most of the caves in the state, unless we go on a scoop 'em and bury 'em campaign.

Copious explanation snipped

ALL of which is very condescending. Did you say anything here that I, or others, don't already know?

I wasn't preaching at you. But there are a lot of newbies around here--just look at their bright shiny NSS numbers. They may have never considered such things. I think there are some things in that part of the post which others may have never considered.

So... what are we gonna do? Sit around and B about it? Get on our high horse and talk about how "we are better than that"? Or do something? Right now this writer is talking about (and giving locations) to caves on private land. Admittedly (as I said in my first post) one is gated, and the other is not much of a cave. But what about the next article she writes? As you well know Teresa, there are some really fine caves along the OT. Are we going to B about it now, or after those are given out?

We're both doing something, and you know it. We've just got different perspectives, and that's fine, too.

I wonder... did this author consult with Pioneer? Does she even know to? Will she ever?????

Since the OT is open to the public, it's not like she was revealing any state secrets requiring special permission. Isn't it also up to Pioneer to register a complaint as well? After all if the landowner is king, THEY are the landowner, not us. And I suspect they've got hundreds of times more clout than either of us could dream of.

I've got a 10+ hour day tomorrow, and likely have said most of what I wanted to on the topic. I applaud your efforts in following your principles, because I'm doing the same.
best wishes
Teresa
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cob » Jul 14, 2007 9:28 pm

sorry it has been so long, but I DO have to take strong exception to one point you made:

[quote=cob]
How do you "protect" a location by printing it? If they print it, they ARE sending every idiot to it.[/quote]

[quote=Teresa]Because the LANDOWNER chooses not to enforce anti-trespass laws at their disposal. I've long ranted and railed that knowledge does not equal access, I wish more people were fined for trespass, and wished more people had gotten chased as kids by farmers with shotguns like I did. Since many people have poor manners, we should let the legal system deal with them. That's a moot point on these caves...the landowner permits public access to the land these caves are on, though not to the caves themselves.
Teresa[/quote]

Except, the legal system DOES NOT deal with them. I know of one instance where some kids breached a gate, went in and spray painted their full and legal names on the walls of the cave, and law enforcement did nothing, INSPITE of the landowners protestations of wanting to prosecute.... Law enforcement did nothing. Cavers built a better gate.

As to it being a "moot point on these caves"... I can't believe you said that. Teresa, I KNOW you are more intelligent than that. That is like saying ,"Just because I allow a Jehovah's Witness to come on to my front porch, he can come into my bedroom at 3 am."

I am sorry, but I am not buying that, and I KNOW you are not selling that.

Now I will let this thread die the ignominous death it so richly deserves.

tom

ps: as to what the land owner says or does... I do not speak for them. They are quite capable of speaking for themselves.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum