Gallop to Horse Cave

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Gallop to Horse Cave

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jun 24, 2007 1:06 pm

Gallop to Horse Cave
Hidden River is a cool treat for hot summer days

By Susan Reigler
sreigler@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Unless you are prepared for it in advance, a drive along Horse Cave's Main Street can be unsettling. That's because just over the sidewalk, on the other side of an iron fence, is a very big hole in the ground. And this is no urban construction site. It's a cave.

The town is built right over Hidden River Cave, which for decades was a source of drinking water and electric power for Horse Cave.

Less fortunately, for many years, the cave also served as the town's giant septic tank, and the ecology of the underground habitat was nearly destroyed.

But after nearly two decades of cleanup and restoration, blind fish, blind crayfish, bats and other cave-dwelling fauna have returned to Hidden River Cave, which is also open to visitors as the centerpiece of the American Cave Museum.
Read on!
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 0/FEATURES
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Komebeaux » Jul 14, 2007 10:38 pm

The first time I visited Hidden River Cave was around 1989. I was 12 years old and had just began caving that summer. You could only walk down into the cave about 20 or 30 feet before the smell would overwhelm you. The river in the cave was murky and almost black. After I came out, I had this coppery taste in my mouth. That visit was all it took for me to join ACCA. I was thrilled to learn some years later that their efforts in getting the sewage treatment plant built were a success and the cave was restored.

Great success story.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum