Rescue from Mingo-Simmons cave - CNN

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Rescue from Mingo-Simmons cave - CNN

Postby John O. Ludwigson » Apr 25, 2007 6:17 pm

On the CNN website today, there is this report on a rescue from Mingo-Simmons cave in West Virginia. Note the dateline on the story. I've never been in it, but sounds like people really weren't prepared... Anybody know the cavers or care to offer some comments?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/25/cave.rescue.ap/index.html

STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Lost for two days in a seven-mile-long cave in West Virginia, five friends were bruised, shivering and had run out of food and water. Three prayed for help, then heard a faint voice.

"I collapsed and started crying," said Heidi McWilliams, 20. "I thought we were hearing things."

McWilliams and her fellow explorers in the 718-foot-deep Mingo-Simmons cave, 130 miles east of Charleston, were treated for minor injuries and returned Tuesday to their homes in central Pennsylvania, a day after their rescue.
John O. Ludwigson
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 4381

Simmons-Mingo

Postby pacaver » Apr 25, 2007 6:54 pm

I don't know the entire crew, but I've caved with Skye and Jason. I consider both to be good cavers, but as we all know things can go wrong. Getting lost in an expansive cave is a real possibility and I'm just glad that they all made it out OK. That's why I prefer yo-yo trips in TAG; the only way you can get lost is on the hike to the pit. :doh:
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Postby Scott McCrea » Apr 25, 2007 6:59 pm

This incident is already being discussed in the Rescue category here: http://forums.caves.org/viewtopic.php?t=4329. No problem, just tying to keep things in one place.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby John O. Ludwigson » Apr 25, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks, Scott. I just saw the CNN story a few minutes ago and thought people here ought to know about it. Looks like the posters in the Rescue forum have it pretty well sewn up.

John L.
John O. Ludwigson
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 4381

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum