Planet Earth: Caves episode on Discovery Channel

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Planet Earth: Caves episode on Discovery Channel

Postby Caverdale » Mar 23, 2007 8:47 pm

"CAVES
Airs Sunday, April 22, at 9 p.m. ET/PT
Caves are Earth's final frontier, and this episode will go where few have been before. Caves are one of the only habitats not directly driven by sunlight, but this doesn't mean there's no wildlife living in their confines. Descend into darkness to witness the unseen behaviors of bizarre creatures like cave angel fish that attach themselves to walls and swiftlets that build nests from saliva." (from http://www.planet-earth.com)

From a few published articles and an interview in the April DISCOVER magazine, the photography is promised to be spectacular.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Postby speloman » Mar 24, 2007 1:36 am

I have to catch it!!!
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby LifeOnALine » Mar 24, 2007 5:36 am

It was on the BBC a while ago and it's worth watching. Y'can check out hundreds of Realmedia clips at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/pla ... realmedia/

(the first Caves clip in 'habitats' will give our SRT gurus a whole new opinion on "fast descent"....

~DM~
LifeOnALine
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » Mar 24, 2007 9:09 pm

LifeOnALine wrote:It was on the BBC a while ago and it's worth watching. Y'can check out hundreds of Realmedia clips at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/pla ... realmedia/

Small problem with that...

Non-UK users
Unfortunately you are unable to access this content. This is offered only to audiences in the UK.

Guess I'll have to watch TV tomorrow then.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby LifeOnALine » Mar 25, 2007 6:42 am

NZcaver wrote:Small problem with that...

Non-UK users
Unfortunately you are unable to access this content. This is offered only to audiences in the UK.

Guess I'll have to watch TV tomorrow then.

That's where Torpark comes in handy! The Discovery Channel's website on the series does the same to non-US addresses.
LifeOnALine
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » Mar 25, 2007 5:26 pm

LifeOnALine wrote:That's where Torpark comes in handy! The Discovery Channel's website on the series does the same to non-US addresses.

Interesting - thanks for the heads up! I wasn't aware of Torpark. That could come in very useful...

Incidentally, the Discovery Channel program tonight was advertised on the Yahoo home page this morning, plus I received a bulk email today about it from The Nature Conservancy. The clip on Yahoo shows someone BASE jumping into a large pit - Golondrinas perhaps?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum