1965 cave accident victim's remains to be retrieved

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby hewhocaves » Jun 25, 2006 9:35 am

The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby lyonz » Jun 25, 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks for all the support and posting from around the world. I was not expecting all this. The main thing is we were a success and that the Mitchell family can finally close this chapter of unfinished family business. I am honored to have been a part of it. It will go down as one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Christian Lyon
lyonz
Occasional Poster

Postby erebus » Jun 26, 2006 6:13 am

Christian, glad all went well. Is the cave now open to responsible cavers?
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby graveleye » Jun 26, 2006 9:45 am

I was wondering the same thing..

Christian, do you think you could post some sort of report about it, or will we be seeing a documentary or something in the future? I would be interested in knowing how things transpired.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby lyonz » Jun 26, 2006 2:21 pm

I am working on that now with members of the Lyon family to have it opened up for fellow cavers in the very near future. But for now it is closed. I will definately keep everyone posted and yes the documentary will tell everything. Thanks again for the support.

Christian Lyon
lyonz
Occasional Poster

Schroeder's Pants Cave

Postby JEC » Jun 27, 2006 2:51 pm

I am new to this forum but can set the record straight on some misinformation in the news articles about this tragedy. The most important one is that the monument at the cave site was bought and donated by Clark R Downey (nss#8864RE) in the 70's. Clark is now deceased. He seen the cave site and felt that Jim needed something to be remembered by. He came up with the inscription and paid for the stone. I will be posting more on this subject. JEC
JEC
Infrequent Poster

Postby kortc » Jun 27, 2006 5:03 pm

i would like to send out a special thanks too
kevin d.
gary b.
mark t.
and michael c.
i know what these guys did this past weekend, and so do they
so thanks guys
from kort
and lets not forget bill m.
without these 5, nothing would have happened
kortc
New Poster

Postby JEC » Jun 27, 2006 5:46 pm

I just sent this post to some of the news agencys that covered the story.

It should have been noted that the grave stone was purchased and the inscription was thought up by Mr. Clark R Downey (NSS#8864RE) of Conn. now deceased. He was at the cave site in the 70's and felt that Jim needed some sort of memorial. It was do to his generosity that the marker is there. It is such a shame that credit is not given where credit is due. News people should research thier stories better or at least double check thier facts. Mr. Lyon knew all of this! Credit should have been given where it belonged. Sad!
If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I will be sending this to the other news agencys. I have been reading the stories from all over And I may be correcting the other discrepencies.
Thanking You

Jim Crane
JEC
Infrequent Poster

Postby lyonz » Jun 29, 2006 1:45 am

To JEC ~
I have done my homework and did in fact give credit in my Nov. presentation and in print in the Dolgeville Violet Festival mag. I mentioned it to the news media and they chose to say what they wanted to. In some of the stories they have my brother named as the person bringing the remains out. In all the others they have me coming out first followed by Bill then Kortney.Bill was the first out. It says the remains were in a small black pouch. That was the pouch Kortney had and it was Bill's personal item's in there. The AP reporter even called after to ask and my mother told him and it still went to print wrong. Now if you want to use the word "sad" in reference to what I said in print or what I accomplished this past weekend, well you certainly are entitled to but I too can talk about things that are SAD!! I just choose not to. This past weekend was about one person!! James Gentry Mitchell!! It was also about the surviving members of Jim's family, not me or anybody else. I will continue to keep a positive attitude on this and not go to the negative.

Christian Lyon
lyonz
Occasional Poster

Postby ScottM » Jun 29, 2006 3:45 am

It is no suprise that the media got the facts wrong. I have been following this story, and what matters to me, is that you and your fellow cavers did this to honor James Mitchell and his family, with success. This story will fade from most people's minds, but not from those that truly understand what you have achieved.

Scott M
ScottM
Occasional Poster

Postby erebus » Jun 29, 2006 5:08 am

True. Congratulations are in order; the recovery would not have been done without Christian Lyon's efforts.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Bill Mitchell a fine person

Postby Jonathon Lewis » Jun 29, 2006 9:15 am

Cavers,

I had the chance to talk with and work with Bill Mitchell at Mammoth Cave Restoration Camp in March. He came in for that camp to travel underground for the first time in so many years, and did fantastic. He was a great person to talk to and hear the account of the tragic story from his own mouth.

Now to hear the events that has unfolded recently, ring close to home, following my brief encounter with Bill this past spring. I am glad that I had that chance to meet him and briefly get to know him and the story. I agree with Mr Lyon that the centerpiece of focus in this event is James Mitchell, and the remaining Mitchell family. May we remember them during this time when old wounds are being reopened.

My prayers go out to the family.

Jonathon F Lewis
ESSO Grotto
Kentucky
Jonathon Lewis
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jonathon F Lewis
NSS #: 55263
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ESSO Grotto

Postby lyonz » Jul 7, 2006 12:29 am

I agree with you. Having spent a bit of time with Bill in Los Angeles and then in Dolgeville, I can honestly say he is one of the finest men I have ever met. Also - he accomplished quite a feat in Schroeder's Pants Cave. Not having been caving in close to 40 years and then tackling one of the toughest caves in the Northeast, all while on a mission to retrieve his brother's remains. Amazing!! He was an absolute pro!!

Christian Lyon
lyonz
Occasional Poster

Postby lyonz » Aug 4, 2006 6:45 pm

As we all know - the National Convention is finally here. I for one will be attending my first one and am really looking forward to it. For those of you that have been following the story here, or in the media, I will be giving a presentation on Wed. Aug. 9th at 9:45 am. I will have pictures from last months recovery as well as discuss the story as much as possible. I really hope to meet many of you while in Bellingham and I hope that if you have the morning free, you will come by and see what I have been working on. Safe travels to all on your way to WA.

Christian Lyon
lyonz
Occasional Poster

Postby lyonz » Aug 11, 2006 2:05 am

Just got back to Los Angeles. I had a very enjoyable time in Bellingham and the presentation went over well. Glad to have been there and glad to have had such a turnout. Meeting so many of you "old-timers" was great and hearing some of your stories of when you were in Schroeders was fantastic. Some of you were talking about being in there back in the early 50's and 60's - well before the tragedy. No doubt I will be getting back in contact with a number of you to hear more. In any event, I will let you all know what happens next with the documentary.

Christian Lyon
lyonz
Occasional Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum