Cave tubing hike questions

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave tubing hike questions

Postby Dotag » Feb 9, 2019 2:52 am

For anyone who has done the Cave Tubing in Belize, can you tell me about the "hike" up to the caves... How strenuous is it? How far is it? And how many creepy-crawlies do you encounter along the way. (yeah, serious question as one of my friends is super afraid of spiders, snakes, lizards, bugs, etc.) :eek:

Trying to now decide if this one of these tours is even for us. Appreciate the help!
Dotag
New Poster

Re: Cave tubing hike questions

Postby captnemo » Feb 13, 2019 7:50 pm

I've never done the ones in Belize but I'm guessing the ones I've visited in Guatemala and Mexico are similar.
So the hike will depend on the specific cave you visit- some are short, some are long. It will almost certainly be warm and extremely humid and you will see lots of 'creepy crawlies'.
captnemo
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44985
Primary Grotto Affiliation: mother lode grotto

Postby ohiocaver » Feb 13, 2019 10:37 pm

If it's the same spot I visited, it's suitable for grandmothers. The walk is short and pretty. You might see critters ... but they are avoidable and will probably be pointed out by the others in your party or other parties. In short...no problema! Do it...you'll enjoy it.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby caverdan » Feb 14, 2019 5:58 pm

I've done it and it is an easy walk on a very wide path. No hills to climb. You sit there and ride as the guide does all the work. I would highly suggest Barton Creek for you to do too. You drive right up to the canoes and they have these big lights for you to use. It's a pretty cave with artifacts to see.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby BrianFrank » Feb 18, 2019 11:38 pm

On a cruise a few years ago during our stop in Belize we did the cave tubing trip. The walk is easy enough for grandparents. The tubing trip through the cave was also relaxing and fun.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum