Old Faithful's Underground Cavern Discovered

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Old Faithful's Underground Cavern Discovered

Postby peter febb » Apr 18, 2013 7:55 am

A big chamber sits about 50 feet (15 meters) underground, located southwest of Old Faithful, researchers report in a study published online March 30 in the journal Geophysical Research Letters. The exact size can't be determined, but they estimate the egg-shaped void is at least 50 feet (15 m) tall and 60 feet (18 m) wide. The cavern connects to a pipe angled about 24 degrees that feeds Old Faithful's maw.

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/4364-old-faithful-hidden-cavern.html
peter febb
Prolific Poster

Name: Peter Febbroriello
NSS #: 20246
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CCG

Re: Old Faithful's Underground Cavern Discovered

Postby submassabielle » Apr 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Interesting. What is the bedrock? Someone once mentioned to me that there are some caves in Yellowstone but that they tend to be full of poisonous gas. I also recall reading an OLD (probably out-dated) geological commentary that theorized that some major caves could have been the result of geothermal activity such as seen in Yellowstone. Is the speed of plate tectonics such that defunct geothermal areas would erode away before becoming safe enough to explore?
submassabielle
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 63943

Re: Old Faithful's Underground Cavern Discovered

Postby submassabielle » Apr 18, 2013 10:42 pm

I did a little searching and I think I may have answered my own questions. Sounds like some of the caves in Yellowstone are, in fact, defunct thermal features (and can contain poisonous gas).
submassabielle
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 63943

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum