Congrats to those involved in merry 'ole England

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ernie Coffman » Dec 30, 2012 11:42 am

Another big push and look what the found. Great pictures, exciting news and a big congrats to those involved in pushing this major find in a cave that they've caved in since 1951. :clap:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... entre.html
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Congrats to those involved in merry 'ole England

Postby JohnC » Feb 5, 2013 3:29 pm

I hadn't noticed this before. Seems it will be one to explore since i live just down the road. Well i'm living in Germany for another year but its where im from! Thanks for the info.
JohnC
Infrequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Feb 5, 2013 4:09 pm

Glad you fnally got to read it, John. Where are you in Germany? We're headed that way in April, but next door.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JohnC » Feb 6, 2013 11:16 am

Over near Dussledorf. Im heading to check out a few of the caves near Iserlohn this weekend.
JohnC
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 6, 2013 11:20 am

John, if you visit Dechenhohle (commercial cave) see if there is a guy there named Elmar Hammerschmitt. I think he is a friend from the mid-70s when I was stationed there in the Army.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby JohnC » Feb 6, 2013 12:28 pm

Phil,

Thanks for the advice again i will do. Im in the military myself hence the 3 years in Germany. I plan to head there sometime Saturday and spend most of the day in the area to see whats around.
JohnC
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 6, 2013 12:59 pm

As you drive up the valley heading north thru Iserlohn look to your right across the valley to a small mountain which has a huge Iron Cross statue on it commemorating World War I, I think. Under that is Eisernkreuz Hohle which is privately owned by a man living on the main strasse opposite the cave. He invited us to dinner after giving us permission to visit the cave. It does require rappelling, but is well worth a visit.

At dinner he told us that many people sought shelter in the cave during the allied bombing of the Ruhr Valley in WWII. At that point Hal Lloyd who was with us on the trip commented that his father had been a bomber pilot here at that time. A period of embarrassed silence followed that comment. :roll: I doubt Hal has changed.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum