Interesting article on Tennessee caves

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Interesting article on Tennessee caves

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 18, 2012 9:58 am

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6395687 will take you to an interesting article on TN caves. This state has over 8000 of them in their karstlands, which encompass most of the state. :cavingrocks:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Interesting article on Tennessee caves

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Oct 19, 2012 12:24 pm

Gerald stated at the TCS meeting a few weeks ago that Tennessee is nearing 10,000 caves...!
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby graveleye » Oct 19, 2012 1:39 pm

last years meeting he said the same thing... getting close to 10m caves.

Y'all need to get crackin"!!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Graveleye, do you mean "10K" rather than "10m?" "M" would stand for million--not! And, it could stand for "meter" but I'm sure all of the caves in TN are long than that, so...appreciate your humor, but maybe it needs an edit. <grin>
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Oct 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote:Graveleye, do you mean "10K" rather than "10m?" "M" would stand for million--not! And, it could stand for "meter" but I'm sure all of the caves in TN are long than that, so...appreciate your humor, but maybe it needs an edit. <grin>

m is the roman numeral for 1,000 and mm is used for million. it's actually common, at least in my workplace to use these instead of numbers.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby graveleye » Oct 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote:Graveleye, do you mean "10K" rather than "10m?" "M" would stand for million--not! And, it could stand for "meter" but I'm sure all of the caves in TN are long than that, so...appreciate your humor, but maybe it needs an edit. <grin>

Kelly is correct. I'm a buyer for an international fastener distributor and we work with 1000's and millions of parts. It is our industry standard to abbreviate and use "m" for thousands, "mm" for millions, "c" for hundreds and so on. Otherwise all those zeros get really messy. It's just a habit for me.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Well hot dog on that Kevin! Haven't used Roman numerals since elementary school, so that's a new one on me. I thought they went by the wayside, except on some buildings. Learn something new everyday...and that's great news! Thanks for this!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Oct 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote:Well hot dog on that Kevin! Haven't used Roman numerals since elementary school, so that's a new one on me. I thought they went by the wayside, except on some buildings. Learn something new everyday...and that's great news! Thanks for this!

Well how about that. This is a new one for me too. I've don't recall ever seeing standard numerals mixed with roman numerals to designate quantities before, just standard numerals by themselves or with metric suffix letters, i.e. 10,000 or 10k. :shrug:

The roman numeral for 10,000 would normally be an X with a bar over it, and a million would be |X| with a bar over it. Roman numerals are always capitalized, so there is no "mm" only "MM" which is 2,000. (Clearly I spend too much time editing technical documents.)

If somebody has an industry reference for mixing standard and roman numerals like this, they should probably edit the Wikipedia page. Wow, now we're totally off-topic. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Magee » Oct 20, 2012 8:07 am

I grew up in the printing industry. We always use M for 1,000.
Magee
Occasional Poster

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum