The difference between spelunkers and cavers

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The difference between spelunkers and cavers

Postby chh » May 8, 2012 11:57 am

We're all just failing to recognize the third group.....hole snobs.
Spelunkers - people who go underground
Cavers - people who stay underground
Hole Snobs - people who care what other people think about them because they go underground.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 8, 2012 12:25 pm

chh wrote:We're all just failing to recognize the third group.....hole snobs.
Hole Snobs - people who care what other people think about them because they go underground.

I was heavily and perhaps rightly chastised on this forum for coining the phrase "hole snobs" in reference to stuffy grotto members I encountered. How dare you attempt to define another's so painfully birthed phrase? :tonguecheek:

Hole snobs are people who deeply care about things like the caver/spelunker issue and cannot tolerate being wrongly classified. They also feel that their experience and accomplishments should permit condescension toward any not similarly decorated. Hole snobs are quick to dismiss as dangerous and incompetent any who do not share their views of speleological propriety. Hole snobs feel that their own special ability and extreme reliance on expensive hardware has allowed them to explore caves, and are made extremely uncomfortable by the Unlearned and Poverty Stricken going underground, even if and perhaps even especially if, these do no harm to themselves or the cave.
It is most important to remember one thing. Hole snobs are a very rare breed. Cavers may be accused of being such by disgruntled folks denied wanted information, and that is sad, because a Hole snob does much worse than that. They work hard to drive others away from caving.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chh » May 8, 2012 5:00 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:I was heavily and perhaps rightly chastised on this forum for coining the phrase "hole snobs" in reference to stuffy grotto members I encountered.

Really? I think it's brilliant. Not to mention succinct. It has fewer syllables than "stuffy grotto members".
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 8, 2012 6:48 pm

chh wrote:
GroundquestMSA wrote:I was heavily and perhaps rightly chastised on this forum for coining the phrase "hole snobs" in reference to stuffy grotto members I encountered.

Really? I think it's brilliant. Not to mention succinct. It has fewer syllables than "stuffy grotto members".

Yes indeedy, and in my very first post. Of course, this was a result of my having been entirely ignored by at least a dozen folks that I emailed for help, and the reception of a dismissive and insulting response by one lofty individual.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chh » May 8, 2012 7:20 pm

I wouldn't worry dude. Cavers, on the whole, are a very welcoming and laid back group in my experience. I married a fellow grotto member and consider a number of cavers as members of my family. Look, you have to embrace the ridiculous at least a little to do what we do. Every group has its wet blankets, when someone is being an "elitist d-bag" (to quote someone else here) just ignore it. Or, if you can't, call them on it. Them's rules to live by no matter what community you find yourself in, in my opinion. :big grin:
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 8, 2012 7:30 pm

I've managed to recover. Interestingly, it was the oldest, most experienced, knowledgeable, and accomplished folks I talked to; Marion O. Smith, Horton Hobbs III, and Bill Halliday, that were by far the most helpful. And to bring this whole mess back on topic, I'm sure that all three once proudly referred to themselves as spelunkers.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » May 8, 2012 9:14 pm

hole snobs, lmao thats classic. Hole or Whole? :)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 8, 2012 9:28 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:
chh wrote:

Yes indeedy, and in my very first post. Of course, this was a result of my having been entirely ignored by at least a dozen folks that I emailed for help, and the reception of a dismissive and insulting response by one lofty individual.

This sounds like Snobby Grotto Syndrome, which I believe pre-dates "hole snobs". Not to be snobby about it or anything. :tonguecheek: :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 8, 2012 9:42 pm

Yes, yes, yes, NZ, you're brilliant too. If chh's guidelines for excellence are observed however, you are four syllables from being as clever as I. :big grin: Also, I assume that there must be an entire group of Hole snobs to warrant a diagnosis of SGS, so your syndrome is entirely dependent on my symptom.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bumbalawski » May 8, 2012 10:24 pm

[quote}
Hole Snobs - people who care what other people think about them because they go underground.[/quote]

I do not go underground since my lifetime collection of injuries prevents that. When I was born, I become a Surface Dweller. When I started caving, I was a Spelunker. When I got into caving, I become a caver. Never made it to a Hole Snob. Now I just hunt for caves for other to enjoy. I guess I am now a Surface Dweller. I think that is where I started in life. I must have come full circle. But I truly love hunting for new caves!

Donnie Carns
Bumbalawski
Prolific Poster

Name: Don Carns Jr.
NSS #: 54725
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Western Maryland Grotto

Postby NZcaver » May 8, 2012 10:47 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:Yes, yes, yes, NZ, you're brilliant too. If chh's guidelines for excellence are observed however, you are four syllables from being as clever as I. :big grin: Also, I assume that there must be an entire group of Hole snobs to warrant a diagnosis of SGS, so your syndrome is entirely dependent on my symptom.

Touché! :wink:

Bumbalawski wrote:When I was born, I become a Surface Dweller. When I started caving, I was a Spelunker. When I got into caving, I become a caver. Never made it to a Hole Snob. Now I just hunt for caves for other to enjoy. I guess I am now a Surface Dweller. I think that is where I started in life. I must have come full circle. But I truly love hunting for new caves!

:goodjob:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jon » May 8, 2012 11:26 pm

Trogman,

Just easier and I don't like the whole spelling lesson on a cave tour.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby Chads93GT » May 9, 2012 9:24 am

If you goto show caves thinking you will be educated by a caver, then you are nuts. Part of the tour guides job is to entertain. Of course you are going to hear stupid things come from them (most of them in my experience) If you don't want stupid lessons on a cave tour, stay out of show caves. Problem solved? lol Unless you are lacking wild caves in your area, then unfortuantely you are SOL, hehehe
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jon » May 10, 2012 12:48 am

Umm, actually I was talking from the other side of the tour, most people I encounter in the cave I work at are on vacation, and are not looking for a spelling lesson, latin lesson or a list of terms they'll never use. Yes I do use humor, but not to be a stand up comic, but rather to make a point .....Currently eight members of the local grotto work or have worked at that cave. We don't lack wild caves, we just don't talk about them.....
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby Chads93GT » May 10, 2012 10:00 am

Just like most areas. Everyone knows of the show caves, but when you tell them there are thousands of wild caves surrounding it they look at you like you have a third eye.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum