IKC acquires new cave.

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

IKC acquires new cave.

Postby Cody JW » Jan 15, 2012 5:21 pm

I have not yet seen this on this forum so I would like to let everyone know that The Indiana Karst Conservancy has acquired a new property. Upper Twin Cave connects to Twin Cave in Spring Mill State Park. Twin is the cave that the park offers boat rides in. For more info you can go to ikc.caves.org/shawnee/shawnee.htm
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Re: IKC acquires new cave.

Postby DeanWiseman » Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Cody JW wrote:I have not yet seen this on this forum so I would like to let everyone know that The Indiana Karst Conservancy has acquired a new property. Upper Twin Cave connects to Twin Cave in Spring Mill State Park. Twin is the cave that the park offers boat rides in. For more info you can go to ikc.caves.org/shawnee/shawnee.htm

Fantastic!!

I was fortunate enough in at the 1992 NSS Convention to do the double through-trip (Upper entrance to Upper Twin in the Park, then "Lower Twin" (aka Bronson-Donaldson). Still one of the best caving days I've ever had.
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Jan 15, 2012 9:20 pm

I did the same trip Dean. I was glad on that trip that I am a swimmer. My shorty did not give much floatation. I may of been on the same trip. I was not sure if I did it during the 92 convention or at a Cave Capers.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Jan 15, 2012 11:31 pm

I am glad to see it go to a good owner. I was never fortunate enough to visit the Upper Twin cave section but the Bronson/Donaldson through trip is one of my favorite summer caves.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Mike Hood » Jan 16, 2012 10:47 am

I, too, was on the 1992 convention trip. It is still once of my favorite trips!
Mike Hood
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Hood
NSS #: 24166RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto and GCG

Postby shibumi » Jan 16, 2012 11:38 am

Excellent. Since the WNS closures I've sorely missed doing the Donaldson-Bronson trip, we used to do it 2-3 times a year.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Jan 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Cody JW wrote:I have not yet seen this on this forum so I would like to let everyone know that The Indiana Karst Conservancy has acquired a new property. Upper Twin Cave connects to Twin Cave in Spring Mill State Park. Twin is the cave that the park offers boat rides in. For more info you can go to ikc.caves.org/shawnee/shawnee.htm

So, the state park cave remains open even since WNS?
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby shibumi » Jan 16, 2012 12:56 pm

BrianC wrote:

It's the only state cave open and because it makes the state money...
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Jan 16, 2012 1:20 pm

shibumi wrote:
BrianC wrote:

It's the only state cave open and because it makes the state money...

I am glad to see that it has stayed open! Any reason right now, is a good reason.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Billy » Jan 18, 2012 8:45 am

A little clarification on the 'cave is open' situation. Spring Mill State Park has several caves on the property. The Donaldson-Bronson system (and through trip) was closed with state closures. They even dismantled a large boardwalk system leading up to a large (larger than a 'shelter-cave' type) exit for Donaldson. Other caves in the park are closed also. The only cave 'open' is the Twin Cave section that has the boat tours that you pay to go back into the cave on flat-bottomed jonboats.
Billy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 53221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal

Postby BrianC » Jan 18, 2012 9:52 am

Billy wrote:A little clarification on the 'cave is open' situation. Spring Mill State Park has several caves on the property. The Donaldson-Bronson system (and through trip) was closed with state closures. They even dismantled a large boardwalk system leading up to a large (larger than a 'shelter-cave' type) exit for Donaldson. Other caves in the park are closed also. The only cave 'open' is the Twin Cave section that has the boat tours that you pay to go back into the cave on flat-bottomed jonboats.

OK! That brings so many questions up about why is it the way it is? But I should not lead this thread into the dark ages. :shrug:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby DeanWiseman » Jan 18, 2012 11:09 am

Any word yet on how the cave will be managed regarding access?

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Jan 18, 2012 11:50 am

DeanWiseman wrote:Any word yet on how the cave will be managed regarding access?

-Dean
I am not aware of anything yet. I suspect they will wait until either the next e- board meeting in Feb. ( Ithink) or the general meeting in March. I am sure they will need to appoint a patron and have the board agree on a management plan. Also they plan to work with park officials on access. With all that in mind I suspect it will take some time. I will be at the March meeting. If I hear anything sooner I will post on this forum.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum