Johnson's Crook, GA

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Johnson's Crook, GA

Postby trogman » Jan 10, 2012 10:26 am

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_216520.asp
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jan/07/land-trust-gets-deal-at-dade-tax-auction/

Depending on which version of this story is accurate, the Lula Lake Land Trust has acquired either 266 or 350 acres of prime cave land. Either way, I think it is good news. :clap: This cave-rich area has been strictly off-limits for a number of years. Hopefully, this acquisition will mean re-opening the caves for exploration. One of the articles mentions the SCCI purchasing some tracts as well- any board members on the forum care to comment on this?
If the Land Trust keeps this up, they may convince me to join them. I have gone to one of their open-house days at the gorge, and it is a beautiful preserve.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Re: Johnson's Crook, GA

Postby Cody JW » Jan 10, 2012 10:57 am

This area also has civil war history.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby graveleye » Jan 10, 2012 1:19 pm

I got to visit Johnson's Crook on a special permission trip a couple of years ago, and the place is stunning both above and below ground. I've been wanting to go back ever since. I hope this turns out to be a wonderful opportunity to open up a great caving spot.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby graveleye » Jan 10, 2012 1:26 pm

trogman wrote:One of the articles mentions the SCCI purchasing some tracts as well-

I'm going to wait before I :banana_yay: :banana: .

The SCCi is very :shhh: about these things ya know!

OK... :banana_yay: :banana: :banana_yay: :banana: :banana_yay: :banana:

I'm excited about the whole thing!
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby trogman » Jan 12, 2012 10:23 am

A little more information about this purchase:

http://www.dadesentinel.com/v2/content.aspx?module=ContentItem&ID=231110&MemberID=1338

"Buddy Lane, a caving enthusiast who at the auction bought a lot he believed to contain a cave, said the Southeastern Cave Conservancy may negotiate with the land trusts to buy other cave-rich acreage, and may also bid on Preserve land at another tax sale to be held in May.

And Lane said the cavers might also be interested in land now tied up in a bankruptcy filed Dec. 28 by TAS, a company owned by one of the Southern Group partners."
"

Very interesting! I wonder if Buddy bought the land for the SCCI, or with his own personal funds. I believe TAS is True Adventure Sports, a caving and climbing and adventure sports outfitter headquartered near Little River Canyon. I didn't know they had filed for bankruptcy, but it doesn't surprise me.

trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jan 12, 2012 1:23 pm

I was told by someone in the know to "stay tuned". It sounds positive.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Batgirl » Jan 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Let's not speculate! Buddy bought the land with his own personal funds. There may be a bigger story coming, but for now it is my understanding that the land was not purchased by the SCCI.
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jan 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Lynn,

It doesn't say Buddy bought it with his own personal funds... FYI, Buddy is the TREASURER for the SCCI... He also speaks for the SCCI in the article.

But of course we know the SCCI likes to be secretive so nothing interferes with what they are planning. Either way Southern Group has one year and one day to pay their back taxes plus 20% to reclaim their land... So don't go jumping for joy just yet. It will be at least that much time before the SCCI or the Lake Lula Trust legally own free and clear what they purchased. As cavers, we should also stay away from this property until it's official... I am glad it's a purchase and not a lease.

TAS is not True Adventure Sports. True Adventure is located in Alabama. TAS,LLC is a property company located in Tennessee that is associated with Southern Group.

Kelly
^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE

Postby trogman » Jan 12, 2012 3:13 pm

rowland7840 wrote:Lynn,

It doesn't say Buddy bought it with his own personal funds... FYI, Buddy is the TREASURER for the SCCI... He also speaks for the SCCI in the article.

But of course we know the SCCI likes to be secretive so nothing interferes with what they are planning. Either way Southern Group has one year and one day to pay their back taxes plus 20% to reclaim their land... So don't go jumping for joy just yet. It will be at least that much time before the SCCI or the Lake Lula Trust legally own free and clear what they purchased. As cavers, we should also stay away from this property until it's official... I am glad it's a purchase and not a lease.

Kelly
^V^

Nothing as secretive as being quoted in a local newspaper! :laughing:
You are correct, though. But since this story has shown up with references to the SCCI in at least two online sources, I'd say the cat is out of the bag. I don't want to wish anyone ill will, but I sure hope they aren't able to reclaim the land. While the economic/housing downturn has been tough for a lot of people, it has been a boon for land conservation purchases.

rowland7840 wrote:TAS is not True Adventure Sports. True Adventure is located in Alabama. TAS,LLC is a property company located in Tennessee that is associated with Southern Group.

Thanks for the info. That makes more sense.

trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jan 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Gotta love Google... You can also find records of the back taxes online and what was due for each parcel... All you gotta do is spend a little time searching... Both TAS & Southern Group share the same address in Kimball.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jan 12, 2012 3:33 pm

any way you slice it, it's promising. At least they're not going to wreck the land and build mcmansions all up the side of the mountain.
Once the dust settles I think we're going to have a nice place to visit.... I hope at least.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jan 12, 2012 3:38 pm

graveleye wrote:any way you slice it, it's promising. At least they're not going to wreck the land and build mcmansions all up the side of the mountain.
Once the dust settles I think we're going to have a nice place to visit.... I hope at least.

Yep, I agree. It's a georgous area. I also had the opportunity to visit some of the caves in the area a few years back when trips were arranged. There were a few "plat forms" in the area close to Lost Canyon that have some amazing views of the valley below...! I guess they built the plat forms for potential buyers to see what their back yards would look like.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jany » Mar 2, 2012 12:40 pm

This indeed is exciting news, can't wait to see the final outcome!

Meadow
Jany
New Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Mar 2, 2012 2:31 pm

Meadow,

Sorry this forum never got updated.... Sadly, the deal fell through... The landowners filed bankruptcy and now the land is tied up in court... :sad:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/1/20/2 ... son-s.aspx
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Mar 2, 2012 3:09 pm

:sad: Darn!
Who knows, though. If the owners filed bankruptcy, I assume the land will be sold one way or another soon. Maybe the SCCI or the land trust will still end up getting some of it.

Ttogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum