Echoes used to map caves

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Echoes used to map caves

Postby self-deleted_user » Jun 13, 2011 12:05 pm

From: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21028156.000 for the full text.

To infer a cave's geometry, the device listens for subtle changes in the way sound reverberates through the chamber's differently sized nooks and crannies. "Every time there is a sudden change in cross-sectional area, it changes the way sound is reflected," Bowen says.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Echoes used to map caves

Postby rlboyce » Jun 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Thanks for sharing!
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby boogercaver71 » Jun 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Wow, a few gunshots, and 400+ miles of Mammoth cave could be mapped in a few seconds. :rofl: Seriously, I guess it might be used in large rooms(except on Federal land where it probably would not be allowed)
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby rlboyce » Jun 13, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm sure the use of a subwoofer as an alternative would be highly recommended in the confines of a cave. With a little doing, you could probably set it up to give you precise intervals of sound. In addition, there are plenty of other portable devices that make a very loud noise that you could use instead. I agree that the use of a gun is just silly, but the concept of what they're doing is somewhat interesting. I'd really like to get my hands on that software to try it out for myself, or find a website that goes into more detail about the whole thing. I don't know exactly how exact or helpful this method is, but I can imagine a few places in some local caves where it would possibly be worth trying.
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby self-deleted_user » Jun 13, 2011 5:03 pm

I have done some searching to see if there is a scholarly article so far nada (did a quick google scholar check and institution check to see if their pages were updated with a recent publication relevant) but it seems Acentech / industry is involved so likely there will be no publication I'd think...at least my experience if tech is developed via industry, it's not published. Or if it is, it would be in patents, which I didn't find anything using those names mentioned in the article. It's really a great idea though and looking up Michael Roan's research is pretty interesting in general.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jun 14, 2011 4:33 pm

there was a test of a similiar method I heard about at an Indiana cave. It was conducted for the military investigating ways to "map" caves from the entrance per the conflict in Afghanistan. Presumably this was for cases where GPR was not availablee or suitable. Perhaps the folks who would be writing articles are locked away on Area 57 :big grin:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JR-Orion » Jun 16, 2011 9:20 am

That was a nice read, thanks.

The 2005 movie The Cave shows a little hand held device with a flip out screen. The cavers (cave divers, I think) would stick the device in an opening, fire off an echo pulse of some sort, and the freshly mapped passage would appear on the screen. Nice and easy. :big grin:

Anyway, I assume that was just Hollywood magic at work. Was interesting to read about the real thing.
:kewl:
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum