Come to my hen party, but bring a hard hat...

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Come to my hen party, but bring a hard hat...

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 23, 2011 11:12 am

I chuckled at reading this article, called "Come to my hen party, but bring a hard hat, wellies, and a love of dark spaces deep under the Earth's surface," :woohoo: with some neat pictures :rofl: of what the article is all about. And to winch their party down 334 feet was quite a chore, but...that's what it was all about. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml Go Bradford Potholers, go! :tonguecheek:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Come to my hen party, but bring a hard hat...

Postby self-deleted_user » May 23, 2011 1:07 pm

:D Yah there are two Gaping Gill winch meets every year. Currently it is the Bradford Pothole Club's winch meet. Later in the year (Aug, I believe) the Craven Pothole Club does it. There are areas for rappelling if you are a caver, and actually there are other entrances to the same system (Apparently Stream Passage Pot is a nice way in/out). I love the winch meet idea....give gen public chances to see something they'd likely never see otherwise, good for education and to hook new future potholers! :D And soooo uber awesome for cavers to hold a hen party down there! That is freakin' awesome! :D I didn't know about the proposal tradition haha I will keep in mind if any guys over there try and get me into small quarters with them! I've heard of other traditions over there just not that one! Is it the same here or is that just a brit thing?

BPC winch meet: http://www.bpc-cave.org.uk/gaping_gill.htm

Craven winch meet: http://www.cravenpotholeclub.org/gg_con ... GapingGill

BPC are awesome people....I don't know the ones named in the article though :( GG is on my to-do list when I'm back over there :)

And I met some Craven folks at the Wessex in Mendip, they are cool too. There is friendly club rivalry between BPC and Craven and it cracks me up. Last I was there I was hearing about the BPC needing a new winch and the Craven being all superior about their way-better winch! hahaha
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » May 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Amy,

these the same folks who gave you your nickname :)
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » May 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Well luckily it's not much of a nickname since only few call me that and no one in the states does so it's not much of a nickname now is it? :tonguecheek:

And actually no. That was courtesy of Hatstand and Gnome from the Wessex.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » May 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Sungura wrote:Well luckily it's not much of a nickname since only few call me that and no one in the states does so it's not much of a nickname now is it? :tonguecheek:

We do, behind your back. :nyah:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » May 23, 2011 11:42 pm

NZcaver wrote:
Sungura wrote:Well luckily it's not much of a nickname since only few call me that and no one in the states does so it's not much of a nickname now is it? :tonguecheek:

We do, behind your back. :nyah:
Ooh ooh I see how it is :tonguecheek: you can call me it to my face. There was a second I was very worried I'd get a much worse nickname but thank Buddha a lot of folks slip in that spot especially with the water level as high and fast as it was. >_> <_<

Hey I thought you were calling me dwarf hotot?
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum