Smittle Cave, Wright CO, MO

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Smittle Cave, Wright CO, MO

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 20, 2011 4:21 pm

I realize that, but that same line of thought would lead one to assume that the Moore's in this area own the 3rd longest cave in the state of Missouri and that isn't so.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jsniffin » Feb 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Moore is also a more common name than smittle though... just sayin.

I get your point...
mmmm.... MUD....

Looking for FENIX LIGHTS?? www.FENIXGEAR.com 5% Coupon Code: GOSAVE0905
(No I don't work for FENIX I just really like their products)
jsniffin
Frequent Poster

Name: James Sniffin

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Yeah I know, but what I mean is simply that land changes hands. there are 700 caves in my county and several of them have changed ownership hands throughout the years and no longer reflect the original landowner name given to them.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jsniffin » Feb 21, 2011 4:57 pm

there are apparently caves in my county here... unfortunately I have no clue where they are.
mmmm.... MUD....

jsniffin
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Ahh yeah, ive worked in your area. Are there any grottos in little rock, or an arkansas speleogical survey?
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boogercaver71 » Feb 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Ahh yeah, ive worked in your area. Are there any grottos in little rock, or an arkansas speleogical survey?

Cobra Grotto is in Batesville, and Little Rock Grotto is in of course Little Rock
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby jsniffin » Feb 22, 2011 12:52 am

I live in white county and am a poor college student so for now I'm sticking to one of two caves I know of. and supposed to be meeting with some people from COBRA this weekend. thanks. I also heard from somebody.. maybe Tim. up at Ennis that there were caves in White county.
mmmm.... MUD....

jsniffin
Frequent Poster

Postby whetstone » Jun 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Before they were closed, I explored both Little Smittle (say it fast five times!) and Lowell Cave on several occasions. Lowell Cave was the first cave I took my daughter into, when she was 8 yrs old. Both were very accessible, with some beautiful formations. I have some great pictures from Lowell, never bothered to take a camera into LS. I never imagined that MDC would cut off access :shrug: . Anyway, to confirm, all three caves are owned by the MDC, and all three are closed to the public. The larger Smittle has been closed as long as I can remember, the other two were closed last year.
whetstone
Infrequent Poster

Name: Jason

Postby milamber » Apr 5, 2021 3:38 am

Hello All,

I am sorry that I am about 10 years too late on this reply, but my great-grandparents use to own the Smittle caves. They were indeed Smittle's :) Some of them still live in the county or neighboring counties and many have moved away including myself. My Great-Grandma Daisy (Smittle) use to live very close to the caves. I do recall when the farm was being sold to the government and that it was indeed due to WNS. I had only been in the caves a couple times as I was fairly young and had moved away. I regret not seeing the caves more back then. My mother and her sisters spent a lot of time in those caves and I had heard a few stories. One of them was about the medicine man that lived in there long ago. Others were more tangible like them partially damning the cave entrance so that more water was inside which allowed them to use boats for tourism.. that wasn't so great so they built walkways instead. However, the farm needed more attention so they closed up the tourism part. There is more to the story on that one, but will save it for another day :)

Hope all is well.
P.S. - in my searches I have seen that you can apply for a permit to go into the caves, but surely over the past 10 years you have seen that too
milamber
New Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Apr 12, 2021 8:35 am

Thanks for the update! Hope to see you underground again one of these days.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Previous

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum