Caves (?) under Quincy Illinois

Post cave-related articles published in the mainstream media here. Please observe copyrights, posting only short excerpts with link to full article.

Moderator: Moderators

Caves (?) under Quincy Illinois

Postby Bob Thrun » Apr 16, 2010 4:26 pm

A network of caves under Quincy Illinois is being proposed as a site for a Google data center. http://www.connecttristates.com/news/st ... ?id=443899
Are these caves or mines? As we all know, mines would be better for this purpose.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Caves (?) under Quincy Illinois

Postby Dan Henry » Apr 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Looks exactly lilke the mine we had the photo salon and banquet in during the 2007 convention.
Dan Henry
Asheville, NC
NSS#47794
Dan Henry
Frequent Poster

Name: Dan Henry
NSS #: 47794
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Apr 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Quincy has some large "mined storage tunnels" down by the river. IE tunnels blasted into the bluffs, probably started out as a limestone mine. I grew up 40 minutes east of qunicy in Pike County, so quincy was where we went when we wanted to see a movie, or goto "the mall", or anything like that. I don't know of any real caves there per se, just those mines.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Apr 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Mines. Adams County does have some caves, though. I've been in one. The now defunct Mark Twain Grotto was HQed in Quincy and Payson for a while...if there were caves beneath Quincy, I'm sure they wouldn't have traveled mostly to Missouri to cave.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby KENTO » Apr 19, 2010 11:18 am

I remember years ago at a Fall MVOR going to a cave near Quincy , NOT under , called Kinderhook Cave. It's most memorable attribute was , it was a tall crevice passage thoroughly coated in viscous to dry , fine Terra Rosa clay. Most places in the cave we had to look up to the ceiling to see actual bedrock limestone. We had to pry our clothes off , they were so coated in sticky clay. The packs and my ammo can photo kit wore an extra thirty pounds of it too , oh yeah. But , yes , there is limestone all around and under Quincy , I bet.
KENTO
Prolific Poster

NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto

Postby Tlaloc » Apr 19, 2010 12:01 pm

Underground Warehouses, INC. A subsidiary of The JM Huber Corporation?

http://www.uwi.org/

Mines, NOT caves.

"Carved into the rocky limestone bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River, UWI operates at the intersection of nature and technology, delighting customers since 1969. In a manmade cavern 150 feet below the earth's surface - our facility gives us the flexibility to tailor areas to meet our customers' unique storage, fulfillment and distribution needs."
Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Blackie » May 29, 2010 10:15 am

The bluffs used to be full of entrances but many have been closed off to redirect airflow. I've been back in the mine years ago when I worked for JM Huber as a temporary electrician. Our work was on the surface in the various ball mills and processing plants but my co-workers took me on a quick tour one day when we had a few minutes to spare. I think there was something like three different mining outfits along this area at one time.
There is a very large area partitioned off for cold and freezer storage.

Brad Blackburn
former Quincy native
Blackie
Infrequent Poster

Return to Caves, Caving In The News Forum