Camps Gulf

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Re: Camps Gulf

Postby NZcaver » Jan 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Batgirl wrote:And since the spread of G.d. by humans is still a plausible theory, the federal and state governments are doing what they are required by law to do - protect threatened or endangered species.

Replies relating to the alleged GD/WNS human vector have been moved from this topic to the Do Cavers Spread White Nose Syndrome topic.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 30, 2011 3:06 pm

well that probably was prudent.

BTW if anyone is waiting on a Camps Gulf Map you need to survey and map it yourself. If the guy hasn't done it by now he aint gonna.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jan 31, 2011 10:06 am

Nashville caver John Hoffelt is the person who has been mapping Camps Gulf Cave. You might want to check with him to see if a copy of the map is available, yet. John is listed in the NSS Member's Manual.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby graveleye » Jan 31, 2011 3:21 pm

well since we can't go in camps Gulf, we need a map to look at right? Better than nothing!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Cody JW » Jan 31, 2011 4:39 pm

I think the 05 NSS Convention guidebook has a nice fold out map. NSS bookstore may still have some, have not checked lately. I got one in mine that I ordered from the book store a couple years ago. It came in a map insert pocket with several other TAG Maps.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Cody JW » Jan 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Come to think of it, the map was for Rumbling Falls, I get those confused due to their close proximity. I keep thinking I have seen a map somewhere in an old Spelo Digest or somewhere.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby tncaver » Jan 31, 2011 7:31 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:BTW if anyone is waiting on a Camps Gulf Map you need to survey and map it yourself. If the guy hasn't done it by now he aint gonna.

Todd, the cave is basically surveyed. Hoffelt has been surveying it for probably 15 years now (just a guess). The map may even be drawn up. I
don't know. The question is, would he share it with anyone other than the state of TN and or the new Karst group that just met in Falls Creek Falls
Park? I think Mr. Hoffelt wants to get back into the cave and piddle for a few more years. He and his significant other are two of the main cavers
who are cozying up with the new Karst Group that recently met at Falls Creek Falls Park. Maybe he will get back in as a "special" caver who
is willing to help out and give them what they want, which is all cave locations that have bats in them.
Last edited by tncaver on Feb 1, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 31, 2011 9:42 pm

We had a few cases here of "long term" projects. I think my original statement still holds true.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boreholio » Jan 31, 2011 11:56 pm

Well, John is just a wee tad bit sort of kinda slightly meticulous in his surveying but the survey was not finished before WNS closed the cave primarily because the cave just would not cooperate.

That is, the downstream sump that leads to more passage only opens in extreme drought, which is usually only every few years. So only a few survey trips have been able to be made into the area and there is more to do there. I think the rest of the cave is pretty much surveyed with around 5 miles.
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Feb 1, 2011 8:14 am

I got an email from John Hoffelt. He says he has only three (3) leads left to survey. Of course, he might get lucky and one of those could lead to something new.

At any rate, I suggested to him that he should go ahead and publish the Camps Gulf Cave map, as is, and update it later, if and when, he can ever get back into the cave.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby graveleye » Feb 1, 2011 9:21 am

I'm curious... my one time at CG, we stopped at the "lake" back in the back of the borehole passage. There was a little rubber dinghy back there and some of the biggest cave crawdads I've ever seen. What lies beyond the water, or is it just water from there on?
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Previous

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum