Looking for Caves in Michigan

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Looking for Caves in Michigan

Postby terahl » Oct 9, 2009 12:19 pm

I had the opportunity to go caving for the first time in the Upper Peninsula thirteen years ago. My guide was friends with someone who worked for the DNR and was aware of a cave in the UP. I am not sure we were even allowed to be there, but he took us. I do not remember now where exactly that cave was located, but would really like to do it again. Is anyone familiar with any caves or expeditions in Michigan?
terahl
New Poster

Re: Looking for Caves in Michigan

Postby Cavernuke » Oct 9, 2009 3:35 pm

terahl wrote:I had the opportunity to go caving for the first time in the Upper Peninsula thirteen years ago. My guide was friends with someone who worked for the DNR and was aware of a cave in the UP. I am not sure we were even allowed to be there, but he took us. I do not remember now where exactly that cave was located, but would really like to do it again. Is anyone familiar with any caves or expeditions in Michigan?

You're probably thinking of the Fibron Quarry cave. There are a couple of other small caves in the UP and Mackinac Island, but Fibron is big enough to be worth seeing.

I'm convinced there are lots of other UP caves in the Silurian and Ordovician strata, but they're buried under glacial till... just like they are in eastern Wisconsin. If you want to go caving in Wisconsin, bring a shovel.

Nuke
Cavernuke
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56251
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Wisconsin Speleological Society

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Oct 13, 2009 6:17 pm

For official access to the Hendrie River Water Cave (the one at Fiborn Quarry) contact the Michigan Karst Conservancy. In the past, their lack of access inspired many poach trips. Things may have changed, it would be worth it to try contacting them. Otherwise, you would be trespassing.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby shibumi » Oct 14, 2009 7:16 pm

I went during the 2004(?) Convention and it was a neat cave! Then I got a might confused in the swamp on the way back to the
vehicle and ended up wandering around for an hour until I found the cave again and regained my bearings.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum