Return to McBrides (Alabama)

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Return to McBrides (Alabama)

Postby CaverScott » Jan 13, 2006 8:34 am

Return to McBrides (Jackson County, Alabama)
Photos by David McRae

It had been at least seven years since I had been to McBrides, so I was looking forward to this trip but with some apprehension (since I was leading it). Our crew consisted of David McRae, Becky McRae, Vicki Parker, Timmy Hudson, John Roberts, Jeff Harrod, and Ryan Strickland. We left Remlap around 9:30 am. The trip to the cave was uneventful as we arrived a little after 11:00 am, secured permission, and hiked up to the entrance.

After the customary group photo, we started entering the blowing cave, one at a time. Those familiar with the cave know that McBrides is a nine-drop, pull down trip. We had brought two, 150 foot long ropes which was a bit more rope than we needed. Things went according to plan with minor buffoonery on drop one, two, and three.

After drop four, I entered what I thought was the hidden crawlway but found myself immersed in water up to my neck. I had crawled into a pool about 25 feet past the real crawlway entrance; so I yelled back at Timmy to send the herd the correct way. :doh:

Soon thereafter, I was searching for the elusive hole that leads to the 90 foot, waterfall drop. A large Rock Cairn clued me in so my memory did not have be on top of its game. Squirming down toward the raging water, I found the final hole into the clean-washed canyon passage. A short permanent rope is rigged here for a short climb down that immediately precedes the 90 footer. (Note- If you plan to do this cave please bring a replacement 15 to 20 foot piece of rope for this permanent rig.)

Once we got both ropes rigged on the 90 footer, we slowly entered the water filled pitch one at a time. The water was flowing at a good rate which no doubt led to our pulse’s staying feverishly high. :scuba:

Once on bottom of the 90 footer, we pulled the ropes down and continued the process of bottoming the cave. Drop 6/7 went smoothly but the dreaded drop 8 caused us some minor grief. It sure seemed a bit snugger since the last time I was here! :caver: This is the drop where you must rig in while being in a cralway and basically swing out for the short 12 foot rappel. We all managed to get down it safely, and headed toward drop 9. Once we had that pitch rigged, I suggested Timmy lead Becky and Vicki out since they were really getting cold.

When the rest of the crew materialized, I had gotten cold myself; thus, I dropped the pit and routed. The walking, stooping, and crawling sure took its toll on me on that day….

What another great day to be in TAG!
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Sean Ryan » Jan 13, 2006 9:52 am

I did that cave for the first time during Convention. You're right about that little pre-rigged length of rope by the big drop: half the rope's permanently sitting in water, and that half has turned to spaghetti.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum