Last Cave Trip for 2008

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Last Cave Trip for 2008

Postby Tony Anders » Jan 1, 2009 8:19 pm

December 30, 2008

Across the Road Cave Trip

This morning we embarked on a trip to the Across the Road Cave in Rockcastle County Kentucky. The boys were excited because this was going to be our first trip ever to this cave. Also this was going to be the first trip since the boys got their new caving gear for Christmas.

We got to roadside parking area around noon. The boys got the new helmets and packs on and we started down the path to where we thought the cave entrance should be. According to the write up it should have been on the west side of the mountain. We started up the path and the rock formations started looking very promising. I hiked up to the first little out cropping of rock we came too and seen a very small opening and felt some air blowing out from it. It was only about twelve inches tall so we decided to go on down to the path and begin looking for another opening.
The next set of rocks we came to, David and Kevin went up to check. This time I decided to go on around the path with the boys and see if we could find any the lower entrance. David and Kevin hit pay dirt. They found a larger opening than before but it was still about two feet high. By now I had found the other entrance, the lower entrance at the mouth of a stream. I yelled to David and Kevin and told them I found it. We looked around while we was waiting on David and Kevin to finish checking the upper hole. We had just decided to head back up the hillside and see what they had found when we spotted them coming down to where we was.
We geared up and started our plunge to the underground. Down through a stoop walk and into a walking passage. Here the walls shrunk down a little and my brother and I had to take our packs off to traverse sideways. The little guys seemed to not have any trouble what so ever. On into a junction where we had about three or four different ways to check. We went a couple of different directions checking the new area of previously unexplored area. This cave appears to have a little bit of everything. We stopped for a little snack and it appeared that this cave was cooler than others in this area. The boys started to get cooler than normal so we decided to go back out and come back later on next year and check this cave more.
After we got our packs back on we decided to ease on back out to where it was warmer. Back outside we walked back to the trucks and was looking at the map when we seen a couple of guys in a vehicle. They stopped and asked if we had been caving and we chatted for a few minutes. He said there had been some interest in setting up a Grotto in the Rockcastle county area. They hadn't much more left when three other trucks came down and the road from the other direction; yet another group of cavers. They had just came from the Arthur Singleton cave, another cave in the area. He asked us about the Sinks of the Roundstone Cave and I pointed out that this cave was just over across the road. I offered to take him and his friends to the cave entrance. They took us up on the offer.
We drove up to the railroad crossing and parked and got out and introduced our selfs to the newly found caving friends. We gave them a map of this cave and walked them down to the main entrance and bid them a safe exploration. We started back out and decided to look for the pit shaft that is supposed to be somewhere around the caves main entrance. We walked up and around looking for the rock outcropping that was supposed to distinguish the pit entrance.
We was met again by another group of young boys that was doing a little exploring of there own. I asked them if they had seen the pit and they said no, so we decided to go on home. As we started down the hillside towards the trucks we seen one of the boys skinning up a tree. When he had reached about fifteen feet or so I heard a 'snap' and turned to see the tree and the boy tumbling to the ground. Thud went the boy and smack the tree came down on his head. He jumped up so I figured all is well. Apparently he has received a cut to his head and had decided to go home. They ended up beating us out of the woods. We checked his head and the bleeding had clotted, all is well with 'tumble weed' and they left to go clean his wound.
We loaded our trucks as well and decided to go on back to the house. All was well for our last cave trip of 2008.
Tony Anders
NSS # 58346
Southeast Kentucky Speleological Club
See ya around, in the underground
Tony Anders
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 58346

Re: Last Cave Trip for 2008

Postby odey » Jan 3, 2009 8:45 pm

i live around keavy and would be intrested in maybe caving with you all i have been caving on my own with some friends i got to go. for about 5 years. if you would be happy to have a nother caver
odey
Infrequent Poster

Name: Bobby

Postby Tony Anders » Jan 5, 2009 3:34 pm

Sure, I will try to give you lots of notice before we end up going underground again. :cave softly:
Tony Anders
NSS # 58346
Southeast Kentucky Speleological Club
See ya around, in the underground
Tony Anders
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 58346

Postby murphy678 » Dec 6, 2013 12:46 am

where is this cave located?? I have searched all over online and just can not seem to find exactly where this cave is located. can someone please tell me where i can park my truck, how to find the entrance of Arthur singletons Cave, and any other information that would be helpful to aide my adventure into Arthur Singleton Cave.
murphy678
Infrequent Poster

Postby Rivershredder » Dec 9, 2013 1:35 am

murphy678 wrote:where is this cave located?? I have searched all over online and just can not seem to find exactly where this cave is located. can someone please tell me where i can park my truck, how to find the entrance of Arthur singletons Cave, and any other information that would be helpful to aide my adventure into Arthur Singleton Cave.

Start here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3995
Rivershredder
Infrequent Poster

Name: Marc DiBiase
NSS #: 65395
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum