Fern Cave Alabama - Helectite Heaven

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Fern Cave Alabama - Helectite Heaven

Postby CaverScott » Dec 3, 2005 9:37 am

A Wonderful Day to Be in Alabama
By Julie Fee

It was Saturday, November 12th, when our trio of Jerry Saulsberry, Julie Fee, and Scott Fee arrived at the pre-determined meeting spot alongside County Road 50. By 9:45 we had accumulated Shane Stacy, Kelly Norwood, Jennifer Pinkley, David McRae, Jeff Harrod, Chris ?, Vicki Parker, Hazard, Dave Howell, and trip organizer, Judy Ranelli. Jennifer jumped in the car with our group, and soon our herd of thundering cave-mobiles had arrived at the Wheeler Wildlife Preserve gate.

After parking and more muddle time, we all started hiking up Nat Mountain toward the Johnston Entrance to Fern Cave. We posed for a group photo before going in, then started into the over-20 mile cave system at 11:15 am.

Photo by David McRae

Like a disjointed snake, we weaved our way down and around breakdown until starting down the main route. By mostly walking and stooping with some friendly crawl-throughs in between, we soon arrived at the Blowing Hole, a 30 foot drop. After everyone put on their vertical gear, Kelly and Jennifer rigged the rope and soon we were on our way, each one taking turns to do the short but sweet little drop into the darkness below.

At the bottom of the drop, a ladder led down to the level where our journey towards “Heavenâ€
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Phil Winkler » Dec 3, 2005 2:49 pm

Julie,

An absolutely wonderful trip report! I think you may have established a new standard in cave trip reporting using the forum this way as well as with pictures.

Every comment about the route brings back memories. JV and I must have made that trip 10-20 times over the years with various visitors.

You know you can get out without climbing the rope don't you? Tricky, but doable.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

trip report

Postby caverjules » Dec 5, 2005 8:26 am

Thank you for the compliment, Phil, but I have to give my "NSS Board Junkie" husband a lot of the credit- he came up with the first paragraph or so and pushed me to "fill it out" and finish it, and it's his expertise that embedded the pictures into the report you see above.

I could probably figure out how to do that if I tried, but he already knows how!
caverjules
Occasional Poster

Re: Fern Cave Alabama - Helectite Heaven

Postby eyecave » Jul 7, 2008 11:13 pm

that tricky part is a very scarey step across :yikes: with more exposure than one wants at the beginning of the bypass of the ladder..........the rest is ez,...you crawl up and out in the passsage midway between the blowhole drop and the climb up to the "bacon rind room".....dont remember the name but i guarantee i can find it..... :banana: .....fern.....my fav...... :bananabat:
eyecave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: sewanee mountain grotto

Postby CaverScott » Aug 1, 2008 12:25 pm

Look at the orginal post - Why is the rest of the report now MIA? :shrug:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby robinbolt » Dec 2, 2010 11:52 pm

Did I mention that this cave comes equipped with its own suspension bridge? How cool is that? We got to meet one of the guys that designed/installed this bridge when we were about to leave - and I was able to ask him what the mesh material used for the floor of the bridge. My best guess was some sort of conveyor belt, but apparently its somehow used in fertilizer spreading.
robinbolt
robinbolt
New Poster

Postby Scoon1 » Dec 3, 2010 10:04 am

Robinbolt - Are you sure you are not thinking about Blue Springs? As far as I know, there isn't any bridge in Fern.

Good report guys. I hope to get back into Fern soon to get more work on the survey done.

I thought that the cave was closed due to WNS??
Eric Schoonover
NSS, SCCi, DCG, SMG
Scoon1
Frequent Poster

Name: Eric Schoonover
NSS #: 51375
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewannee Mountain Grotto Dogwood City Grotto

Postby LukeM » Dec 3, 2010 2:13 pm

Report is from 2005. :grin:
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Cody JW » Dec 4, 2010 6:36 pm

robinbolt wrote:Did I mention that this cave comes equipped with its own suspension bridge? How cool is that? We got to meet one of the guys that designed/installed this bridge when we were about to leave - and I was able to ask him what the mesh material used for the floor of the bridge. My best guess was some sort of conveyor belt, but apparently its somehow used in fertilizer spreading.
If this is referring to Blue Springs TN. the mesh material was made from some kind of farm conveyor belt. I read that somewhere . I am glad the Blue Springs bridge is there, would hate to do it the old way. I am sure if Bill Walter or any of the original Blue Springs guys are on this forum they can elaborate.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby boreholio » Dec 5, 2010 6:28 pm

The Blue Spring bridge was built long after we made the breakthrough but I think it does consist of steel conveyor belt and cables attached to posts drilled into rock. I helped a bit with the construction but I don't remember all the details.

There were actually two ways to cross before. A ledge and a pinnacle step across on the right and a steep flowstone slope on the left.

Joel Buckner
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Postby Cody JW » Dec 5, 2010 9:46 pm

I read this bridge is called Hansons crossing. Built so Lonnie Carr's dad (Ithink) could cross and see what is beyond. I am not sure if he ever got across. I do not think so.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum