Jewel Cave Reaches 140 Miles

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Jewel Cave Reaches 140 Miles

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Aug 21, 2007 8:57 am

Jewel Cave, South Dakota
August 17-19, 2007

Three cavers spent 60.5 hours in Jewel Cave last weekend on a two night camp trip. 2274.50 feet were surveyed bringing Jewel to 140.06 miles of explored passage.

Base camp is in the Big Duh, largest cave room in the Black Hills, about 5 miles east of the Elevator Entrance. The survey was accomplished on a 22 hour day away from camp. The leads were 3.5 hours and approximately 2.5 miles beyond camp. Some medium to large size passages were explored and several new rooms were named, including The Sack Race, Grand Hall of Indecision, and the Little Deuce Scoop. The survey was halted because of time restraints in a 30 foot high going fissure with side leads. In all, 24 new leads were generated along the survey.

Participants were Andy Armstrong (SD), Larry Shaffer (SD), and Evan Anderson (CO). Only minor injuries and gear blow-outs were incurred. The team reached the surface at 10:00 pm Sunday night into a raging lightning storm.

I can post more details if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Anonymous_Coward on Aug 26, 2007 9:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Re: Jewel Cave Reaches 140 Miles

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 21, 2007 9:36 am

jaa45993 wrote:2226.50 feet were surveyed bringing Jewel to 140.05 miles of explored passage.

Congrats!

Only minor injuries and gear blow-outs were incurred... I can post more details if anyone is interested.

What gear blow-outs did you have? It's fun and educational to learn what causes gear to blow-out. :woohoo:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby John Lovaas » Aug 21, 2007 10:03 am

Congrats, Andy, Larry, and Evan- and everyone else who has plugged away at the survey effort.

What a nice round number 140 is ;-) And what a pretty spot to get to!

Oh, well- back to the featureless slimetubes of the upper Midwest for me ;-)

jl
John Lovaas
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Aug 21, 2007 11:06 am

The gear blowouts were almost entirely mine.

We all had boot issues. Broken laces, separating soles, etc. The best was when I had my 20 pound camp pack attached to the loop on the back of my Joop boot for dragging through the Miseries. I decided I could leave the pack attached to foot for a 10 foot chimney up. (WRONG) As soon as I lifted my leg, the weight of the pack ripped my rubber boot into a really flappy sandal. Luckily, we were on the way out only 1.5 hours from the entrance and I was able to duct tape it back into working order.

I broke a helmet strap clip in a tight spot.

Also, lost my watch.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 21, 2007 11:45 am

Sounds like you could use some chicken loops. :woohoo:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea