Going to West Virginia Sep 13-16

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Going to West Virginia Sep 13-16

Postby mabercrombie » Aug 9, 2007 11:27 am

myself and three other people are going to be in West Virginia from the 13th to the 16 of septemeber. It looks like we will be camped around Seneca Rocks. Does anybody Know of any Caves in that area?
Im Marty Abercrombie
and I approve this message
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: marty abercrombie
NSS #: 51557
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Postby SofaKingCool » Aug 9, 2007 12:49 pm

There are several within a half hour drive of Seneca Rocks and even more within an hour. The NSS owned Trout Rocks caves are about an hour away. You might want to check with someone from PSC (http://psc.cavingclub.org/). They often have trips in the area.
Chris Woodley
SofaKingCool
Occasional Poster

Re: Going to West Virginia

Postby newts » Aug 6, 2010 10:16 pm

Following up to an old thread but the question is the same...

I have been out of caving for a few years and I am looking to take some beginners somewhere easy new Seneca Rocks. Last time I was here (way back when...) we did Bowden cave and several in Virginia (Crossroads was one I remember).

Bowden is quarantined now?

I am bringing a few kids 10-17 who are experienced outdoors and some rock climbing but the first time underground. I want something fun but it doesn't have to be too challenging and I am not bringing ropes or anything. So easy suggestions are what I looking for.

We will be in the area in about 2 weeks from now and camping for 4 or 5 days.

thanks,

jv
newts
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 29294

Re: Going to West Virginia Sep 13-16

Postby newts » Aug 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Anybody on here? Looks like a low traffic board and I could really use some help here.

I know cavers are reluctant to share the caves with outsiders and it understandable. I haven't participated in caving since the mid 90s and I was never formally in a grotto but I was active in New England caves and a few trips as far South as Tennessee for caving. I am very cautious and responsible and always try to leave the place better than when I entered.

I have locations and listings for most of the Virginia caves but only a few W Virgina caves and they seem to be on the quarantine list now. This is why I am asking for help in finding a fun beginner cave in the Senneca Rocks area.

Thanks and happy caving,

jv
newts
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Aug 12, 2010 7:27 am

Your best bet is contacting a grotto that caves in the area. The board doesn't permit posting locations, directions, etc. to specific caves. Go to http://www.caves.org to see a list of all the grottos.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby NZcaver » Aug 12, 2010 7:40 am

Welcome to the forum. Here is a direct link to the grotto finder - http://www.nssio.org/Find_Grotto.cfm

As Phil said, contacting local cavers is the best way to find out about cave access in your local area. This information may also help - http://www.caves.org/grotto/dcg/CC/dcg- ... caves.html
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby AMF » Aug 12, 2010 7:43 am

FYI, the NSS Trout Rock caves referenced in an older post are closed as well.
AMF
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 17132
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philly

Postby newts » Aug 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. I didn't followup with the grottos in time and all my inquiries local were closed for wns.

Let's hope the bats recover for the next time!
newts
Infrequent Poster

Postby Bruce Kirchner » Aug 27, 2010 7:23 pm

newts, there are a few commercial caves in the Seneca Rocks area - Seneca Caverns and Smokehole Caverns. If you can't find a wild cave to take your folks into, I'm sure the folks at either of these caverns will be happy to show them something underground. Both of those guided trips are pretty worthwhile.
cave softly, duck frequently, crawl a lot! :-)
Bruce Kirchner
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 11430RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum