Upperman Cave?

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Upperman Cave?

Postby Outland15 » Jul 3, 2007 6:53 pm

Does anyone know of an Upperman cavern near Connelsville, PA?? It might be referred to as Casparis Cave. I am wondering if anyone could give me any information regarding entry or permissions. Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of all NSS owned caves and locations??
Outland15
Infrequent Poster

Postby Doug McCarty » Jul 4, 2007 10:45 am

Forgive me, but the very fact that you are asking the questions you are asking indicates to me that you need to talk to some local cavers--preferably by going to one of their grotto meetings. I have taken lots of groups into caves through the years and one of my basic rules is that I would never take an inexperienced group of adolescents (or adults) into a cave with which I am not thoroughly familiar.

There are three grottoes fairly close to you--Nittany Grotto in State College, Loyalhanna Grotto in Indiana and the Pittsburgh Grotto. All three have web sites with contact information. Just google them. There are lots of good people in all three of these grottoes--and they are the folks to talk to about caves in PA.

Doug Mc
Doug McCarty
Occasional Poster

Postby Outland15 » Jul 5, 2007 1:51 pm

Well by the time I take the group into the cave, I would be thoroughly familiar with it. I am an experienced caver myself and am fairly sure we have similar rules about this stuff. I know about the grottos and have already emailed about 7 of them.
Outland15
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 5, 2007 2:56 pm

Go here:
http://caves.org/nss-business/bog/table-4d.html

to see all the NSS Caves and contact info. Scroll way, way down the page.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum