New Britain Island, Papua New Guinea Project

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

New Britain Island, Papua New Guinea Project

Postby JohnLane » Jun 28, 2007 2:02 pm

From August 15 to September 16, 2007 I will be conducting a scientific project to East and West New Britan Provinces, Papua New Guinea. This project involves several scientific studies. One of the many aspects of this project involves locating and mapping of caves. I am looking for 2-3 cavers to join the project. Participants must be able to cover their own expenses.

The project is in conjunction with the California State University, Chico and the University of Papua New Guinea. The area of focus is the Lake Hargy Caldera and associated karst of the Nakanai mountains. I have obtained permits from the PNG Department of Environment and Conservation and the National Research Institute to collect biota. Existing studies include mapping of the contact between the karst and the volcanics, fish collecting, insect collecting, sonar mapping of the lake, cave mapping, frog swabbing for global climate change information, kayaking source to sea from the lake, and water quality sampling. For additional information contact me by email at jlane@chicoenvironmental.com

Thanks,
John
JohnLane
New Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum