Queations about Hell's Hole In Harrison Co. Indiana

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Queations about Hell's Hole In Harrison Co. Indiana

Postby fireman1904 » Jun 25, 2007 12:00 am

I was recently asked to join in on a equiptment testing trip into hell's hole cave. After the required number of cavers didn't show up we decided to go into the cave and check out the route we were going to take. Unfortunatly none of us had ever been into the cave past the entrance pit. So all we had to go on was a simple lineplot map, a vague cave description which by the way is lacking a lot of info, and a little of info from a couple of people that had been in the cave before. At first we were gonna just do a short trip but the we decided to go ahead and try to find the hat dome which is the farthest spot noted on the map and description from the entrance. But since none of us were sure about the route we didnt ever make it there. We were however reasonably sure that we found our way to the CB Crawl since we found a survey station CB1. From the cave description the entrance to the upper level that leads to the dome is near the begining of this crawl but we were unable to locate it. If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate it. Also we were told by at least one person that we would need a rope for a small pit or drop of some sort. We never found that as far as we went. Info on that would be great too. We spent a little over 6 hours in the cave. The cave is was worse than the description but not nearly as bad as some people described it.

Thanks
Mike
NSS#49891
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

hmm

Postby fireman1904 » Jun 27, 2007 3:32 am

Well i guess this post is kind of worthless or at least there is only a slim chance that anyone could tell me much. I was just informed that there have been only 2 known trips to the hat dome. One about 32 years ago and one about 15 years ago. So. Unless some of you were on one of those trips or maybe a trip that no one around here knows about I doubt i am gonna get much help. Thanks though
fireman1904
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Woolard
NSS #: 49891

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 28, 2007 7:04 pm

Mike,

I assume you know by now that they found the way. It was right where you guys stopped up in ceiling.

Todd
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum