May12th and 13th Buckners Clean-Up

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

May12th and 13th Buckners Clean-Up

Postby Adam Craig » May 4, 2007 12:36 pm

Anyone here going to this? I'm interested in attending...
I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide - R. Waters
Adam Craig
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 48556
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Shallow Grotto

Buckner

Postby hharperson » May 4, 2007 1:50 pm

I would possibly be interested in helping out. I have been to Buckner's a long time ago so I would need contact info and directions. Let me know if it's happening!
hharperson
Infrequent Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » May 4, 2007 4:50 pm

Adam...I may be going, I'll let you know asap.

hharperson...FYI, here's the official announcement. Dave Everton is the contact person and you should be able to find his email addy on thier web site:
Saturday & Sunday, May 12-13 is the next weekend to use the sandblasting equipment to remove graffiti at Buckner Cave, starting at about 9:00. If you arrive at the property and the gate is locked, simply walk and follow the gravel road to the parking area and someone will open the gate so you can drive back there. The property will be available for camping, but please make known to me your desire to do that (even if tentatively) ASAP, so I can communicate it to the RBNC Executive Board.

As always, all safety gear for the cleanup will be provided. Also, although graffiti removal takes priority, it is possible that recreational trips inside the cave can be taken, but hinges upon manpower available at the time. That should be coordinated through me first, and all RBNC rules for caving need to be followed (see property rules, below).

A ham and beans supper is being planned for the evening meal on Saturday evening. Some drinks will be provided throughout the day. Please plan accordingly otherwise.

Please be sure you have completed a liability waiver form. They are available here:
http://www.caves.org/grotto/big/rbnc/rbncwaiver.pdf
or at the kiosk near the house at the property. Also, please be sure to sign in and out at the kiosk as you come and go; that not only helps keep track of property visitors, but helps me determine the amount of volunteer labor expended on the graffiti removal project.

For more information and updates on the project, visit http://www.caves.org/grotto/big/rbnc/Gr ... emoval.htm
For a complete list of property rules and other information, you can find it all at http://www.caves.org/grotto/big/rbnc/rbnc.htm

Please consider helping out in this worthwhile effort, which requires a lot of assistance, but is very rewarding to see graffiti disappear and the cave walls and ceilings restored to a more natural look. It literally happens before your very eyes!

If you have any questions, please let me know. If you can't make this one, please consider trying to make one in the future. Please reply to this message if you think you may be coming to help.

Thanks for your consideration and support, and I look forward to seeing you there!!

Dave
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Adam Craig » May 4, 2007 5:01 pm

GC, that would be great!! Yah, let me know... As for now, I'm planning on attending. I'm just waiting on a response from Dave. :grin:
Adam Craig
Prolific Poster

Postby Adam Craig » May 5, 2007 8:26 am

Well Dave Everton got back with me, and I'm going now for sure!! It's been almost 10 years since I've been into Buckners and I can't wait to give this good 'ol cave a helping hand. :kewl:
Adam Craig
Prolific Poster

Postby Adam Craig » May 14, 2007 9:33 am

For all those who thought about going, but didn't... You missed a great time!! What an awesome effort by all that were involved :kewl:

For those who haven't been yet, it's really a neat thing to see. Poor ol' Buckners needs all the help it can get!! :goodjob:
Adam Craig
Prolific Poster

Buckner's

Postby hharperson » May 19, 2007 8:36 pm

Hey , Adam I wish I could have gone and given a little back but something came up. Is it still really bad? I went to Buckner's as a kid and it was spray painted like crazy. Any way I am getting out this weekend to Speleofest hosted by the Louisville Grotto. Sounds like fun too me! Good luck! Happy Caving!
hharperson
Infrequent Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum