How was VAR?

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

How was VAR?

Postby MUD » Apr 30, 2007 4:38 pm

I was planning on going and taking my 4 year old son Solomon....but he got icky sicky and wasn't happy about dad goin' without him! He's fine now and wants to see some pics from where I was gonna take him. If somebody out there took some pics of the event and/or cave trips could you please post some? Mebbe a tale or two of how it all went? Thanks!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby MoonshineR DavE » May 1, 2007 6:54 am

Heres a couple of pics from Sharps Cave. I didn't get anything from Carpenter Swago but I will go back.

It was a little cool and a little rainy but all in all it was a great VAR! :banana:
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » May 1, 2007 1:15 pm

It was great! :happy:

About 300 cavers, good food and company, and great caving. Thanks to Front Royal Grotto for hosting. It was a beautiful drive through springtime WV to get to Durbin and to the caves.

Hey Moonshine Dave, why didn't you tell me you were Moonshine Dave when you were offering me the clear fluid in the jar (duh) and the spiked oranges?!

Had a great, "rather sporting" caving trip with Junkman! :banana: I'll cave with him again anytime but will be very wary the next time when he tells me how important it is for me to go to very, very end of a passage.... And when he says "the pits might be a bit wet." :big grin:
Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby MoonshineR DavE » May 1, 2007 1:31 pm

Sorry Cheryl I never even thought to tell you who I was on here. I didn't know who you were til later on that night when adleedy told me. And I must say it was nice to meet you.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby adleedy » May 1, 2007 3:21 pm

yes VAR was wonderfull, i had a great time
Alan D. Leedy

E.R.V.K.E.T Life Member

SAVE CAVE RIVERS http://WWW.8RIVERSSAFEDEVELOPMENT.COM
adleedy
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: alan dwayne leedy
NSS #: 56663
Primary Grotto Affiliation: charleston grotto + ERVKET

Postby Carl Amundson » May 1, 2007 11:32 pm

Cheryl Jones wrote:Had a great, "rather sporting" caving trip with Junkman! :banana: I'll cave with him again anytime but will be very wary the next time when he tells me how important it is for me to go to very, very end of a passage.... And when he says "the pits might be a bit wet." :big grin:
Cheryl

I KNOW you enjoyed seeing the "Fabulous Dome Room" at the back of the Dry Extensions.
and yes there was a bit more water then I was expecting. :whistle:
But it was still a fun trip
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby George Dasher » May 2, 2007 8:07 am

Three of us biked the West Fork Trail on Sat. It was kinda rainy and cold, but it was pretty neat. It was one of the few rails-to-trails in the state I haven't ridden, and (believe it or not) it was in a part of the state (south of the Sinks) I've never been to.

High up vegetation, no leaves on the trees, foggy, and a grassy trail. It was not at all like the other valley trails I have written. 22 miles, and I got a flat right at the end.

We followed the head of the West Fork River all the way from its head (which is on limestone) to its mouth, and then rode a half mile or so to the VAR campground--which was the East Fork Campground. Kinda funny I thought.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum