Cavers: Communicating Internationally

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Cavers: Communicating Internationally

Postby cavescom » Oct 15, 2005 11:57 am

For cavers who communicate internationally and plans trips abroad check it out Skype.

Voice over the Internet is a well known way of pulling international communication off real cheap but way out in front is a service called Skype. http://www.skype.com
Computer to Computer calls are Free.

Ebay is reportedly going to pay 2.5 billion for Skype and the rate at which Skype is rolling out new features is making it the way to go. I assume Ebay is going to integrate Skype into its auctions to enable us to talk live with sellers or their store reps but it can easily be integrated by other cave related stores around the globe.

Skype Calls: The calls I have made with it both computer to computer and computer to mobile #'s around the world and static lines is incredible.....far better than the International calling cards which cost more even when the receiving party is on a bad dialup.

Skype In: Is new and allows you to establish a local telephone # in some of the popular cave spots(new countries being added) in the world and makes it easy for folks in those countries to call you cheaply.

Skype Phone: A review of the CIT 200 from Linksys is here http://tinyurl.com/bswg7 ....I'm getting one of these

Pocket PC: Here is the real kicker! With the new broadband capable PocketPC phones....I have the Audiovox VX6600 I subscribe to over the air broadband cellular and can receive Skype calls from anywhere in the world free without rackin up cell minutes.

Skype Out: Allows us to use a skype phone or the PC to call a static or mobile line anywhere in the U.S. Only China has banned Skype Out calls from coming in to their country....noting it as a disruptive technology.

Mark Passerby, Caves.com
cavescom
Prolific Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum