Cullman Grotto Trip / 12-29-06

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Cullman Grotto Trip / 12-29-06

Postby tagkaver » Jan 2, 2007 3:32 pm

On December 29,2006 we met at the library at 8am, and were off to Scottsboro for a day of pit bouncing. Our first stop was Scottsboro Mountain Pit because some of the people on the trip had never been to this nice little pit before. Once at the parking spot we made the short walk to the pit and rigged our rope. Richard was the first to descend followed by me then his wife Becky. After we looked around the bottom and took a few pics I got on rope and made my way to the top. Becky climbed next followed by Richard. Once we were all up Harold then went down followed by Arlon then Vic. They spent a few minutes on bottom then they climbed out. We then pulled and coiled the rope and headed to the vehicles, and headed to our next destination. On the way down the mountain we stopped and I showed the group Dr. Sheppard's Crack, but we didn't do the drop.
The next cave on our list for the day was Turkey Buzzard Pit, and after a while of trying to located the correct road the cave was on we decided since it was getting late that we would save that one for another day. Then we decicided to head on over to The Diggins Pit, which several on the trip had never done. Once at the parking spot we headed up the mountain to the top of the pit. After the rope was rigged Richard headed down followed by Becky. They both then climbed out, and Richard had an extra passanger with him when he got up. He had found a garter snake crawling around on the bottom, and had put the snake in his pocket and brought him out to safety. Harold then bounced the pit, and Vic, Arlon, and I opted not to bounce the pit since it was almost dark and some of us had prior engagements to get to. After pulling and coiling the rope we all hiked back to the vehicles and headed in our seperate directions.
Everyone on the trip had a great day of pitting in TAG and were already planning our next trip. The people on our trip were Harold Calvert, Vic Bradford, Arlon Baker, Richard and Becky Wooten, and myself. C-YA UNDERGROUND!!!

here are some pics from Scottsboro Mtn. Pit:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

and here are some pics from Diggins Pit:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jon Cammon(tagkaver)
Jackson County Grotto
Cullman Grotto
NSS 39428
tagkaver
Frequent Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum