Byers Cave

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Byers Cave

Postby Sneakers » Jan 1, 2007 5:52 pm

So...I really didn't know where to post this. It has to do with a trip that we took to Byers Cave this past weekend (12/30/06), but its mostly a warning. We stored some of our gear in the interest of Dean's Cave (spelling may be wrong), about 100 ft in. When we came out of Byers and went to retrieve our stuff...some of it was missing. We're guessing some people stumbled across the cave and took what they wanted because not everything was gone. I just thought I'd warn you guys!
I'd rather die doing something exciting instead of dying comfy in my bed!
Sneakers
Occasional Poster

Postby mabercrombie » Jan 1, 2007 7:19 pm

What was taken? Byers is apparently visited pretty regularly by the local red necks.
Im Marty Abercrombie
and I approve this message
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: marty abercrombie
NSS #: 51557
Primary Grotto Affiliation: chattanooga

Re: Byers Cave

Postby mgmills » Jan 1, 2007 7:44 pm

Sneakers wrote:So...I really didn't know where to post this. It has to do with a trip that we took to Byers Cave this past weekend (12/30/06), but its mostly a warning. We stored some of our gear in the interest of Dean's Cave (spelling may be wrong), about 100 ft in. When we came out of Byers and went to retrieve our stuff...some of it was missing. We're guessing some people stumbled across the cave and took what they wanted because not everything was gone. I just thought I'd warn you guys!

Was the stuff taken in packs or loose? Could it have been dogs or "critters" that took it?
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby mabercrombie » Jan 1, 2007 7:47 pm

If the stuff was small I have seen some pretty big pack rats in Deans cave before.
Im Marty Abercrombie
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Sneakers » Jan 1, 2007 9:44 pm

There was a pack (nothing in it) that was removed from a trash bag and a GPS unit and a light that was removed from a pack. I doubt it was animals that took it since the GPS and light was in a zipped pocket. It was rather entertaining getting back to the car in the dark with no GPS or map. We found our way back rather quickly though! It was just weird. There were three packs in the cave...so they take the empty pack, go through the others, and only take a light and GPS. We were nervous about cars though. Ever since my Valhala incident (my friend left with my keys while I was still in the cave) I've been leaving my key in the front bumper of my car! Glad my truck was still there when we got back! Thankfully nothing was removed from anybody's car!
I'd rather die doing something exciting instead of dying comfy in my bed!
Sneakers
Occasional Poster

Postby mabercrombie » Jan 1, 2007 9:57 pm

We have not had any reported thefts, or tom foolery at sue's market (knock on wood), and there is a Dade Co. Deputy that lives across the street and keeps an eye on the parking area.
It does sound like somebody got into your stuff at byers, I really hate that.
Im Marty Abercrombie
mabercrombie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum