Dykes Cave Southeast Ky trip

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Dykes Cave Southeast Ky trip

Postby Tony Anders » Dec 30, 2006 7:42 am

Cave Report
December 29.2006

Dykes Cave

Our scheduled trip for today had to be changed due to an unexpected event, however to help take the kids minds off of the lost of their grandpa’s dog, we decided to take them to the Dykes cave.

The original plan was an exploration of the Sinks of Roundstone cave and check for the location of yet another exit/entrance to the cave system.

We arrived at the bridge over the water at the cave entrance to the Dykes around noon. My youngest son decided he was going with us on his very first cave exploration. I was a little concerned that he may just get started and get scared or spooked , after all he is only five. But to my surprise all I heard out of him was “this is fun” and “awesome”.

Weeks before, when we asked him if he wanted to go he first said no, cause there are bats in there.
So I took the opportunity to show him a bat that was hanging in the cave and told him it would be quiet safe as long as he doesn’t bother them.

I can’t even begin to say how proud I am of him. He walked right with me and listened to everything I told him. We looked at all the different formation and he was talking about how pretty they were.

We entered in the lower entrance along the river bank. Continuing back along the rock and sand filled floor of the cave we found several different types of formations. About half way through our walk we found a beautiful rock type tunnel, the water must have taken for ever to cut this area. We stopped here for photos and I hope to have them posted later if they turned out.

Going on we found some rim pools and several smaller passages that we didn’t have the time to explorer as of yet. We hope to get back in to this system soon and see where all the side passages go. We didn’t push it today due to the fact it was the first trip of little Shawn and we didn’t want to make his first trip a miserable one.

I hope to see if we can get a map of this cave soon. If not, we may end up trying to map it our self.

Continuing on listening to the little ooos and ahhs from my little boy on his first trip to the underground magical lands, finally we heard my little brother say we are at another entrance or exit. Sure enough up around the next little bend to the left we could see light filtering in. There we found about four different holes that all opened up into a dry stream bed. After looking around for a few more minutes we exited the cave and took a break and snapped a few more pictures.

We made the hike back along the road to our vehicles and had a few snacks and made our way back home.

My Son Shawn's(yellow) 1st caving trip along with his big Brother Austin and his Cousin's Dylan and Josh
Entrance/Exit down the road from where we started
Entrnace/Exit this is where we came out.
:patriotic2: :patriotic2: :patriotic2:
Tony Anders
NSS # 58346
Southeast Kentucky Speleological Club
See ya around, in the underground
Tony Anders
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 58346

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum