TRIP REPORT: 11/25/2006 Webster Cave System, KY

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

TRIP REPORT: 11/25/2006 Webster Cave System, KY

Postby Darklight » Nov 27, 2006 4:34 pm

TRIP REPORT: 11/25/2006
Webster Cave System, KY
Innuendo Survey

Well, my morning began the usual way: waking up about two hours too early, even for the drive I had ahead of me. I finally crawled out of bed before the alarm went off, slinked into the kitchen and started the coffeepot. An hour later, at 0400, the coffee still hadn't taken effect, and I found out my Jeep heater wasn't working properly. That remedied itself after about 30 miles (though I suspect I’ll be tossing some cash at this problem), and soon I was well on my way to meet Pat Mudd, Ben Hutchins, and Mark Phillips at the Webster Field House. Along the way Mark phoned to say he was a tad under the weather and was going to sit this trip out.

Webster Avenue at Epitome Lake

This was to be our 2006 Thanksgiving Expedition. One thing we hadn't counted on when planning this was the propensity for WCCSG'rs to want spend time with their relatives rather than the cave. So, many of the cavers who wanted to attend were called away to land's end to sup and spend time where it counts. Nevertheless, we had a small contingent ready to attack the far reaches of the System

We hadn't yet decided exactly what the goal for the trip was. Pat Mudd had been in the cave the day before with his son for a 'fun' trip (I can't for the life of me really recall what these are like). Ben Hutchins was in town from DC for the holidays, and I had taken time off from work to attend. Many ideas were tossed around: finish Marathon Crawl, polish off Upper Giger, start a new lead. Since decidedly the largest of the cavers that had planned to attend, Mark, was not among us, we opted to go and try and finish the Innuendo Lead off Necronom. This is not to say that Mark is too robust to go there; suffice to say it is a lead for cavers who are congenitally "smallish" in stature and build. No basketball players!

Innuendo (photo by Pat Mudd)

We all arrived at the Webster Field House around 0800. Unable to secure the key from the landowner, we headed on over to the cave and suited up. No key meant some gear inside (Dave's new paper and my waterproofed set of instruments) was to be unavailable. Ben surprised us by arriving kayak in tow. I left mine back at the house. I really have not decided whether a yak is really any easier than just slogging through the cave. If one didn’t have to bring it with each time, it might not be so bad. Perhaps just chaining it to a tree in the karst head…

Due to a “two right handed glovesâ€
Last edited by Darklight on Nov 28, 2006 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.G. Anderson
http://www.darklightimagery.net
http://www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WCCSG/

"I've done things God should have questioned, but I don't care".
Darklight
Prolific Poster

Postby wendy » Nov 27, 2006 7:01 pm

ahhh man everytime you post these trip reports, especially with photos and video, makes me one step closer to buying a plane ticket and coming up there to cave with you guys.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Dane » Nov 27, 2006 7:58 pm

Great trip report!
Looks (and sounds) like a truly fascinating cave system.
Wendy, pick me up on your way! I think I get 6 weeks of vacation next year, and it sounds like I could spend them all at Websters!

Uh, one last point - should we start a separate thread on the best blind fish recipes???
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby batrotter » Nov 28, 2006 7:24 am

Great report! Thanks for posting!
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL