Caving in Mexico

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Caving in Mexico

Postby GoHighGoDeep » Oct 5, 2005 4:44 pm

Hi all... I'm hunting around for info about caving in mexico, particularly around the San Luis de Potosi area (but i'd be interested in any areas, really) . I and a few others from WUSS and Cleveland grotto are working on sorting out a trip down to mexico for late 2006/early 2007 and as few people from our neck of the woods have been down that way recently, we're lacking in experience south of the border to draw from.

So, if any of you have suggestions, ideas, or information that you wouldn't mind sharing, please either drop me a PM or post in the forum.

Thanks,

Andrew
c'mon, you can fit through that
GoHighGoDeep
Occasional Poster

Name: Andrew
NSS #: 53832
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville and Cleveland

Postby Phil Winkler » Oct 5, 2005 6:32 pm

Andrew,

Caves of the Interamerican Highway. AMCS publications. AMCS is the Association for Mexican Cave Studies (if memory serves). There is so much written about Mexican caves and caving.

Crank up google. AMCS is in Austin, Texas I think.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby filox1 » Oct 6, 2005 12:50 am

If you are interested in the big drops (Golondrinas, Hoya de las Guaguas, etc.) then SLP is your best bet.

If you are in to caves there are all over the place.... I suppose that you will come down driving, Some of them are as close to the border as Tamaulipas (border with Laredo or McAllen TX.) Google Sistema Purificacion.

If you are planing on Golondrinas it was closed for a wile due to diminished populations of birds as consequence of sporting activities.

As far as I know is now open to cavers but still closed to base jumpers and such....

May be some one on the forum has been there lately and has more up to date info....

Cheers.
filox1
Occasional Poster

Postby cob » Oct 6, 2005 6:59 pm

Andrew:

I tried to send you a PM (maybe I did?)

I and my compatriots have spent a lot of time in SLP and can give you mucho info. Contact me at karstyoldbstrd@yahoo.com.

tom
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Uncle Muddy » Oct 6, 2005 8:19 pm

Andrew, contact good ole Mike Walsh. You might be able to book his cavers' digs in Aquismon. You will certainly hear more Mexican caving stories than you'll ever remember. Heck, some of them are mostly true! :!:
Caving: It's like fun....only....different.
Uncle Muddy
Occasional Poster

Some Mexican Information by a Mexican guy

Postby hectorcal » Nov 15, 2005 10:06 am

Just for you to know Golondrinas and Hoya de las Guaguas are open right know, I will be going with ITESM Monterrey (my college) on December 9 to 12 to several places in Aquismon, San Luis Potosi..

:grin:
Vertrauen ist gut. Kontrolle ist besser.
hectorcal
Infrequent Poster

Postby Bruce Rogers » Nov 15, 2005 7:30 pm

If you are not wedded to dropping the Big Pits and are inclined to include a little archaeology on your trip, you might consider traveling to the Yukatan Peninsula. There are scads of caves there, most either within or adjacent to Maya archaeological sites. We have led 11 trips for up to 20 or so people to the area combining wild and commercial, horizontal and vertical caving, archaeology, and general cultural/gustatory excess for up to three weeks. We usually go in the Dead of Winter for relief from poor weather. Costs usually run about $2000 - 2200 per person for two and a half weeks, staying on good hotels, eating well, buying lots of stuff, van rental, and including airfare from the San Francisco Bay Area. Details provided on request . . .

Cheers,
Bruce Rogers, earth scientist on a good day
Bruce Rogers
Infrequent Poster

Postby Nico » Nov 21, 2005 5:35 pm

I thought ITESM was heading to Pozo Montemayor in December Hector,
have the plans changed or something?
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Nov 21, 2005 6:43 pm

Bruce Rogers wrote:We have led 11 trips for up to 20 or so people to the area combining wild and commercial, horizontal and vertical caving, archaeology, and general cultural/gustatory excess for up to three weeks. We usually go in the Dead of Winter for relief from poor weather.
Our club is planning something similar this winter (and we have winter here); mind if I give your e-mail address to our trip coordinator? We have a member who lives in the Yucatan but your tips and suggestions from a planning perspective would be valuable.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum