Anybody Digging?

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Postby MUD » Dec 22, 2006 11:54 am

Thank you eramosakarst fer the info!

I'm traveling home fer the holidays...doing lotsa cavin' and a diggin'. I'll try to post some pics and a trip report on Monday. We're working on a survey past a pit area we uncovered earlier this year and will be hoping to get into a brand new cave we've been working. We're just a couple of feet from getting in. :woohoo: C'mon :santa: we've been good!
:pray:
Then it's off to survey/dig/photograph a cave we just opened up 3 1/2 months ago. This one's a true "caver's" cave. We're at the tip of lots more passage there....we'll see.

All of you have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS :xmas tree: and hope your New Year is filled with happiness, prosperity, KINDNESS and virgin booty, of course! :formations: :caving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby barcelonacvr » Dec 22, 2006 5:40 pm

Cavemud wrote:Thank you eramosakarst fer the info!

All of you have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS :xmas tree: and hope your New Year is filled with happiness, prosperity, KINDNESS and virgin booty, of course! :formations: :caving:

Same to you and your families! I will be digging In Quebec at the same time.Lets hope we all break through to voids that leave us searching for big enough lights :woohoo:
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Dec 27, 2006 12:26 am

We entered the cave about 11:00 am Saturday. Did a tourist trip and ended up digging for a few hours. Gained a few more feet....the clay is easy diggin' but the flowstone/old formation deposit is not. It overlies the clay so we were diggin' on the clay and then removing the top layer. Didn't have our survey crew together so that will wail 'til next trip.

Ran out of time to go and work on Salamander soooo......that will also wait 'til next weekend.

Christmas night had us in surveying on our newest discovery. We got about 126 ft. done through a "rotten" rock area with some high angle shots and tricky to survey from stations. :hairpull: We now have a little less than 1000 ft. done with much more to go. I had a couple of small rocks hit me...one on top of my left foot and one on the arm. Neither caused an injury, just a little scare. :shock: I've never had a rock hit me and got two on Christmas night! Both could have been prevented....

We'll be back in Wednesday evenin' for more surveying....and digging....gotta see where all that air goes! :grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Dec 28, 2006 12:15 pm

Got in the cave last night about 7 pm. Steve had chores to do so it was just Tim and I. Headed for the fracture zone to pick up where we left off. We surveyed 129.1 ft. Brings the total to 1100 ft. plus. Back in tonight to close some loops. Hope to have some pics up soon! :kewl:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Dec 29, 2006 2:29 pm

Steve and Tim got in the cave by 7 pm and started the survey from the sand crawl and surveyed to Shinny shaft. I then joined them to hang a plumb line down the shaft so we could tie into our survey in the Subway. We then sent Steve back up and around to the top of Rayban rift so he could shoot down to us to tie in another loop. Soooo....we tied together three loops and got about 134 ft. of survey. We should be around 1200 ft. plus. I'll know when Tim processes the data.

I'm tryin' to get some pics to show....awesome cave with many fossils sticking out of the walls and ceilings. The beds are dipped about 50 degrees which makes for some interesting passage development. It's cool being 15 ft. above someone while being 15 ft. below someone in the same passage! Maybe back in tonight....we'll see.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jan 2, 2007 3:05 pm

Well, the holidays are gone...I'm back in Ohio and I can't cave for awhile. I really miss living in a place where there are caves all around. We did accomplish over 450 ft. of survey while I was home. Also got a little digging done in Whisper.

Now it's back to the grindstone and make some $$$ for a new camera! I guess I'm technologically challenged these days as I don't own a digital camera, or know how to use one. The pics they take are pretty nice and I like how you can upload them so quickly! I took some pics of our ongoing digs and caves but they need to be developed, scanned and then uploaded. It'll be awhile.

Hope everyone out there in caverland has a wonderful, booty-scooping, safe 2007! :grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Jan 16, 2007 10:52 am

Cavemud wrote:Well, the holidays are gone...I'm back in Ohio and I can't cave for awhile. I really miss living in a place where there are caves all around. We did accomplish over 450 ft. of survey while I was home. Also got a little digging done in Whisper.

Hope everyone out there in caverland has a wonderful, booty-scooping, safe 2007! :grin:

Thanks for sharing Cave Mud and all the others in this thread.

Here is something I can share.Unfortunately a LOT of our digs cannot be shared due to the extremely tenuous areas/landowner relations .

The Nibelungens were happy to share this dig though

I was on a dig in Quebec recently and I thought I would share some photos with a PDF I made.

http://putstuff.putfile.com/37768/432317

Marc and Donald preparing to dive

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4530514

The water does not stay clear long

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4530516

Some past excavation for scope

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4530515

The 3 last photo's are compliments of Frank from the Nibelungens, the site urls for each photo would not hyperlink and ended up as dead pages.

http://community.webshots.com/user/frank_218
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jan 16, 2007 12:53 pm

We opened us a cave OTR weekend....here's some pics of the entrance while "enlarging" it.

That's about a 58 degree slope downward into the cave. We went through 28 ft. of bedrock, following the air and listening to the rocks roll into a larger chamber. This pic is standing in that chamber and looking out towards the entrance. This is where we "popped" through!

And here's a few pics of the cave....

and, survey tape hanging above "quickcrete crawl"

There's much more to this story! :woohoo:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Jan 16, 2007 1:00 pm

[quote="Cavemud"]We opened us a cave OTR weekend....here's some pics of the entrance while "enlarging" it.

Awesome!! Love the big chamber.Thanks for sharing.
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jan 16, 2007 3:29 pm

Here's a few more pics....

The dip of the beds and typical sculpting....

and some other stuff.....

She's a caver's cave, all the way! :grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Micro-Shaving?

Postby verticaver » Mar 8, 2007 10:29 pm

Yes, I've had some good luck with Micro Shaving, which is basically just drilling a 4" hole, cleaning it, dropping in a couple of 22 cal. blanks, & a blast shield over it, then a firing pin. Hit it with a hammer & bang. Little shock. Some times big rock. It does take some learning to be effective with, to understand how the breaks can work. But it's fun as shit

I'm psyched to try this triple sevens load. I bought a bunch thinking there must be some way to use it & now I think I understand how.

Thanks
verticaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby barcelonacvr » Jul 16, 2007 1:05 pm

If this stood up to abuse it might have use is some lower digs

http://www.smithandhawken.com/catalog/p ... ction_desc
barcelonacvr
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Jul 18, 2007 8:43 am

For the record, I dig more than cave. I do most of my
caving when I get a dig open which can be weeks, months or even years between breakthroughs.
I'm using a mix of Pyrodex XXX fine 25% with 75%
Bullseye smokeless powder. The mix is easily gravity
fed into a hole with a clear plastic muzzle loader device. The hole is contained with ordinary cave clay.
Half inch holes up to 18 inches deep work great and
the shots are almost identical in power to High Ex.
My best dig last year opened up a half mile of cave
just before deer season. Unfortunately the hunting
club has stopped access. The interesting issue is that
the airflow was good but not great. I have dug open
two leads with great airflow in the past two years and
both leads crapped out. Good airflow does not always
mean a lead is a good one, although it certainly does
create interest. My best cave leads and discoveries
have many times been caves and digs with only a
little airflow at the entrance. One is 13 plus miles long.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum