Ellison's Cave: Dug Entrance Access Route

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Ellison's Cave: Dug Entrance Access Route

Postby caver_buddy_ » Jun 4, 2016 6:16 pm

I am planning another trip to Fantastic Pit in a few weeks :banana: . I am dreading the hike up the mountain from the blue hole though, and am wondering if there is an alternative route. I have dropped Incredible before via hiking down from the top of Pigeon Mountain but have never really seen a path on the opposite side that leads to the dug entrance. I was wondering if there was a path from the top that may lead to the dug entrance that I missed. Sure seems like if there is one, it would most likely be a better option than hiking up from the blue hole again.
caver_buddy_
New Poster

Re: Ellison's Cave: Dug Entrance Access Route

Postby trogman » Jun 7, 2016 1:17 am

Sure, you can access it from the top. Instead of turning downhill off of the old logging road (as you would if going to the Incredible entrance), just continue to follow the old road around the mountain, past the original entrance. But this time of the year, the dirt road is usually closed just past the turnoff of Rocky Lane. So what you save in terms of elevation change, you make up for in distance walked. Kind of a six-of-one, half-dozen of the other situation. :big grin:

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Re: Ellison's Cave: Dug Entrance Access Route

Postby bennettbike » Jul 22, 2016 9:53 am

I need to go drop that again. It's pretty cool
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto