Alaska Caving Contacts, information, and status?

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Alaska Caving Contacts, information, and status?

Postby flightfollowing » May 6, 2016 10:18 am

I am interested in getting involved in some Alaskan Caving this summer in Southeast Alaska, and was hoping to get more information or connect with other Alaskan Cavers or Cavers interested in visiting Alaska, I live seasonally in Alaska.
However, I tried emailing all of the glacier grotto contacts and UAS cave club contacts found at the Alaska Caving website:

http://www.uas.alaska.edu/arts_sciences ... index.html

and had zero replies from all 5 contacts, as well as a bad email address for the Allreds found on that website.
Anyone know the status of the glacier grotto or UAS cave club, or have any contacts for anyone who might be familiar with Caving SE Alaska
flightfollowing
Infrequent Poster

Name: Cliff Gill
NSS #: 66346
Primary Grotto Affiliation: kcag

Re: Alaska Caving Contacts, information, and status?

Postby Caving Guru » May 6, 2016 7:11 pm

NZCaver (aka Jansen Cardy) lives in Alaska and could probably help you out. The caving clubs in Alaska are not very active that I am aware of.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Alaska Caving Contacts, information, and status?

Postby NZcaver » May 15, 2016 12:27 am

Glacier Grotto is apparently now defunct (no current listing of any Alaska grotto on the NSS website). I live in Alaska, but not in a region with any caves to speak of.

You could try contacting the Tongass National Forest for more information on caves on POW Island.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum