Leader liability for charity trip

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Leader liability for charity trip

Postby rgriffith » Feb 23, 2016 6:46 pm

My partner and I are thinking of donating a "beginners' caving trip" to be auctioned at a local charity fund raiser. While we would not personally be paid, the participants would be paying the charity for the privilege of going on the trip. We are worried that this may cross the line into "cave for pay". Anyone have any idea what our personal liability might be should someone get hurt? Liability of the charity? We plan to go to a wild cave that is a very commonly used for beginners in our area, but there is always the possibility of someone slipping and falling scrambling over breakdown.
rgriffith
Infrequent Poster

Name: Bob Griffith
NSS #: 44592
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Re: Leader liability for charity trip

Postby caverdan » Feb 24, 2016 10:55 am

You could have them fill out a waiver before they can go. Under age kids should have a parent sign it for them. Here is an example of two we use in Colorado.

http://www.coloradocavesurvey.org/Fly_a ... r_2009.pdf

http://www.williamscanyon.org/wp-conten ... 021015.pdf
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby rgriffith » Feb 24, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks for the sample waivers. I like the first one for being very specific about the hazards and who should not go. We're still thinking about it.
rgriffith
Infrequent Poster

Name: Bob Griffith
NSS #: 44592
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby ohiocaver » Feb 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Not sure of the age of the people who might "win" the cave trip...however, if there are youth, be sure to review the Boy Scout/NSS guidelines for youth on trips. No matter the age, be sure everyone is aware there are no "guided trips" in wild caving. Newbies must be prepared to think and act for themselves.
That said, it sounds like a great idea for a charity event. Who knows? You might even attract some new blood to your grotto! :cavingrocks:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby Grandpa Caver » Feb 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Some food for thought... My grotto has been taking scouts and other groups on annual cave trips for many years. I always insist that in all written or promotional communications we [the grotto] are named as attendees on the trip. Not leaders or sponsors. In short, caving "with" a group as opposed to "taking" a group might legally lessen the responsibility. I don't know that it's ever been tested but I've had a couple lawyers tell me it's a good idea. By all means have everyone sign a liability waiver! They are fairly easy to find online.

As for the caving for pay thing, we simply refuse any compensation for our involvement.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum