TRIP REPORT: Webster Cave System (KY, US) 2006/05/07

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

TRIP REPORT: Webster Cave System (KY, US) 2006/05/07

Postby worldnaut » May 10, 2006 9:23 am

This trip report was previously posted on the WCCSG site.

The full report with pictures and movies is here -> http://home.comcast.net/~worldnaut/07_May_2006.htm

Chris Anderson, Mark Philips and Pat Brian met at the Webster post office at about 7:20 AM. Two weeks ago, Chris Anderson did a reconnaissance trip to Briar Hole and Vanlahr Sink, two caves that lay west of Webster Avenue, generally in the area between Marathon Crawl and Giger. Chris made some movies that day and I had it in my mind to do make some more this day. I’ve never been in Marathon Crawl, but Chris and Mark are convinced that Briar Hole connects to Marathon Crawl because the character of the chert alluvium seen in the stream bed leading into the two caves exactly matches what is seen in Marathon. Two weeks prior, Chris was able to dig into Vanlahr sink for the first time and crawled in to the first room (which he made a movie of). A hole in the floor of this first room drops into a pool of water that drains down a gravel bed under a ledge back to the west and in the direction of Briar Hole. Our goal for the day was to survey this lead hoping to connect it with Briar Hole.

On the surface, a westward trending slough drains into Briar Hole and when it backs up in flooded conditions, a side chute splits off to the left, turns back east and runs into Vanlahr Sink. The two entrances are probably no more than 70 feet apart and any significant rainfall would turn these two caves into death traps in short order. After discussing our margins of safety and the character of any anticipated precipitation, we decided that we were good to enter the cave. I set point, managed the tape and shot back sights, Chris shot foresights and Mark did sketch. We probably entered the cave about 8:45 AM and surveyed into the first room. Before long I was kneeling in the pool at the bottom of the hole in the floor of the first room looking at the virgin passage under the ledge that the water was draining into. Chris yelled down, “What’s it look like?â€
worldnaut
Occasional Poster

Re: TRIP REPORT: Webster Cave System (KY, US) 2006/05/07

Postby Scott McCrea » May 10, 2006 9:57 am

worldnaut wrote:We took a picture of Chris with his Swaygo Pack in one of the spots where it earns its keep.

Excellent! Can you send me the best copy of that image you have? It would look great on the Swaygo web site!

Those video are, once again, great! Real caving. Lots of gunts, water, leg cramps, etc. I'm going to watch it again. :kewl: :woohoo:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum