Quick question about Grindstaff Cave in Hampton TN

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Quick question about Grindstaff Cave in Hampton TN

Postby sharpecr » Jul 3, 2015 4:06 pm

Hey everyone,

My name is Chris Sharpe and I'm fairly new to the forums and unsure where to post or if this is even a viable option. I've been caving for the last 3 years, started through classes as an undergrad, and recently became a member of the NSS. One of my friends from work (who is also an NSS member) was wanted to plan a trip to Grindstaff Cave in Hampton TN. From previous experience I understand that cave maps are like gold and heavily protected items, however I was curious if someone had a map that they would like to share or if anybody knows whether or not this particular cave has been surveyed or mapped. Thank you all for your time and I will see you guys later.
sharpecr
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 66783

Re: Quick question about Grindstaff Cave in Hampton TN

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 4, 2015 7:45 am

Hi Chris,

I don't have a map for Grindstaff. Unless there is a map in T. Barr's book "Caves of Tennessee." I don't have my copy handy to check.

If there is a map, the TCS (TN Cave Survey) would have it. Once you become a member of TCS, you get access all the maps and info they have. Well worth the little bit of effort required to join.

What is the current access status for Grindstaff? It keeps changing and most of the time it seems to be closed by a guy with an itchy shotgun trigger finger.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby sharpecr » Jul 4, 2015 10:58 am

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the info and I didn't even think about the TCS. The current access for Grindstaff, I would have to put into the "thats complicated" criteria. The itchy trigger finger guy still is there, but my work friend happens to know him through the Fire Dept. and called up and explained who we were and why we wanted to go in, and he was ok with us accessing the cave (but currently it is technically closed). The guy seems not to be too hard to deal with, I just don't think he knows or understands the difference between cavers such as most of those on these forums and the people/kids that get their kicks through tearing stuff up.
sharpecr
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 66783

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jul 27, 2015 6:00 pm

There is a map in Barr. It is not 100% complete, but will give you enough of the general idea of the cave that you can get around in there. I seem to remember a stream level that is not on the map.

Disclaimer: I have not been in this cave in over 15 years. :big grin:
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum