WV Reccomendations? Again.

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

WV Reccomendations? Again.

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 7, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm friends with a couple in Charleston who would like to go caving. I took him along a few times before he was married, his wife has never been. So I'm looking for a decent cave for beginners. Here's the other thing: I, selfishly, would like to go to a somewhat lesser-known cave. I am Normaned out, for example (though I still want to see the far eastern bit). I'm not looking for anything spectacular, and if it's out of the way enough to get mostly overlooked we don't mind a long hike. I'd say we need something horizontal, we've rappelled together, but I haven't gotten them to climb rope yet.

I so rarely get to cave in WV that I have nothing more than a book-knowledge of most of it's caves. A tip or two would be splendid. I do have the Randolph, Pendleton, and southern Pocahontas WVASS bulletins, so if you can provide a recommendation and access information, I may already have coordinates to a good choice.

Thanks!
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: WV Reccomendations? Again.

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 7, 2015 2:53 pm

Sharps? I have no idea what the current access is, but it's easy and fun.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Mar 7, 2015 9:50 pm

Access is free and open, and the cave is easy, so I had considered Sharps. But it's extremely well-trampled. I want an obscure one.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ohiocaver » Mar 9, 2015 8:43 am

Rehoboth Church? Can't / shouldn't do it on a Sunday, though, for landowner reasons. Easy access, not too tough. Just don't do it in heavy rains. Haines is another in that general area that is a Conservancy cave. It is dry (in the one area you might appreciate a wallboarder's dusk mask) and fairly easy of access.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum