SMG Cave Fest 2014

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

SMG Cave Fest 2014

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Jul 29, 2014 3:25 pm

The annual Sewanne Mountain Grotto Cave Fest held Labor Day Weekend at Cavers Paradise in Sewanne, Tennessee is coming up in a few weeks. I'll be at the event and I am looking forward to explore more of Tennessee's underground. I figured I may not be the only one, so I thought it couldn't hurt to start this thread. Anyone else from Cave Chat attending?
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Re: SMG Cave Fest 2014

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Jul 30, 2014 10:59 am

DawgsgoCaving wrote:The annual Sewanne Mountain Grotto Cave Fest held Labor Day Weekend at Cavers Paradise in Sewanne, Tennessee is coming up in a few weeks. I'll be at the event and I am looking forward to explore more of Tennessee's underground. I figured I may not be the only one, so I thought it couldn't hurt to start this thread. Anyone else from Cave Chat attending?

Thanks for starting the thread...! I didn't realize I had not already posted it on Cave Chat for this year... Below are the details...

Sewanee Mountain Cave Fest is the annual fundraising auction & party hosted by the Sewanee Mountain Grotto. This is our 12th year and the event is held over Labor Day weekend in the heart of TAG at Caver's Paradise (www.caversparadise.com). As usual, there will be an auction, led cave trips, float trip, a live band, and a potluck dinner. The event kicks off Friday night August 29th and goes thru Monday September 1st. Please refer to the website for directions.

There is no registration fee to attend, however we do ask that attendees donate an item to the auction and if you plan on participating in the Potluck dinner, please bring a side dish as the Grotto provides the
meat. It is preferred that your auction item be caving or camping related and it does not have to be new, be creative! Your 30 year old piece of equipment that you no longer use just might be interesting for a collector! Please note, the campground does charge a $5 camping fee per person for the entire weekend (children under 12 are free) and electrical hookups are available for an additional $25.

Friday night there will be children's entertainment, including a showing of the 1985 classic, THE GOONIES. The potluck dinner and auction will be Saturday night. Dinner starts at 5pm CST, followed by the auction at 7pm. On Sunday there will be a Bat Float to Nickajack Cave at dusk and Albert Ogden and his live band to follow.

This year we will have a new style of beer mugs and as usual the beer selection will include brew from our very own guys with the TAG Brewery. For a $10 donation you get a 16oz collector cup that you can fill with
beer each night all weekend!

Some vendors who have already donated items for this years auction are: Karst Sports, Lodge Cast Iron Skillets, The Lost Sea, West Virginia Underground, Rite in the Rain, Petzl, The Chattanooga Symphony & Opera, Fits Socks, Highline Ropes, Keson, Mountain House, CMI, The Len Foote Hike Inn, Nite Ize, Fenix, The Chattanooga Arboretum, The Tennessee Valley Rail Road, Rock City, Ruby Falls, and many more! We've also already received a bottle of Habanero Wine from Doug Mayes.

All of the proceeds from our event go back into the caving community!

To follow or join the event on facebook, go to:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421893758065353/.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Re: SMG Cave Fest 2014

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Jul 30, 2014 2:29 pm

Of course! I couldn't help myself. Been looking forward to it for a while. See you there!
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum