Thought I found a forgotten cave. NOPE

Post trip reports, requests, expedition announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Do not post exact cave locations, either by roads or GPS, or post directions to caves.

Thought I found a forgotten cave. NOPE

Postby emtinoklahoma » Jan 11, 2014 7:14 pm

I live in Greene County, Mo. I researched old county documents, and historical reports. I found mention of a cave in my area. I looked at old topo maps, and confirmed the location. Today we went to this cave. It was a fun climb down to it, some difficulty for us newbies. We finally got to the cave, we were excited to say the least. We entered, and immediately found 2 old backpacks. I looked in one, and found the components to make methamphetamine. There was also a chemical smell accompanying these bags. Needless to say, we left. I do not want to be anywhere near the lab of crazy drug makers. Very disappointed that people would do this in a cave, and due to how far ir is from civilization, I do not know if the police would even be interested. Still a fun day!!
emtinoklahoma
Infrequent Poster

Re: Thought I found a forgotten cave. NOPE

Postby tncaver » Jan 12, 2014 11:12 am

You may want to let police know about the meth packs. Hopefully they will take them out of the cave and they might be able to get some evidence from them as to whom the perpetrators were.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Jan 12, 2014 12:21 pm

I would report it to the police or sheriff. I know in Colorado.....they would be interested in it. They might let you go caving while they are there checking it out. :kewl:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Do us a favor and report it to the cops, or give me the cave name/location and I will report it to the MSS and the SPG (Springfield Plateau Grotto), but for the love of god, call the police and let them put the area under watch so they can arrest the meth cookers who are screwing up our caves. Greene county has the blind ozark cave fish in it and that is BAD NEWS when meth cookers are in caves there.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Trips & Expeditions Forum